• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lookin for an opinion on a couple radios.

racetra

Jul 7, 2011
Howdy, Im new to your forum and have a couple of questions.

I have a Galaxy 99v that I have had for about 12 years. It has been sittin for the last 5. I went to use it and it seems to not transmit. You can hear it key up but no vocal. my question is this, Should I spend the money to fix this 12 year old radio or should I buy a new one? I have been tallkin to a few folks about the RCI Superstar 158-EDX and it seems to be a good radio. It will be going in my early bronco in the summer and my dodge PU in the Winter. I have been told that they dont even make some of the parts for the Galaxy anymore. I might run it with my Texas Star DX amp also and was told that a Class C radio would be best for that. I am kinda on a limited buget and the SS 158 seems to be priced right and seems to have most of the features of the 99. I am pretty "Green" when it comes to the radio world so any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

That 158 would be the wise choice as far as investing money into a radio. That 99 may end up having more issues as time goes on and it very well could nickel and dime you and that 158 is the up to date or newest technology so you will be up to shnuff with the times.

I have a Superstar 158EDX, and it's a great radio. I love it. Twin finals, so it only puts out about 25 - 30W PEP SSB, and around 12W AM, but that's perfect for driving an amp. Depending on which Texas Star amp you have, you might just have a winning combination! (I prefer the TS DX500 myself. A perfect match for the 158EDX.)

I have a Superstar 158EDX, and it's a great radio. I love it. Twin finals, so it only puts out about 25 - 30W PEP SSB, and around 12W AM, but that's perfect for driving an amp. Depending on which Texas Star amp you have, you might just have a winning combination! (I prefer the TS DX500 myself. A perfect match for the 158EDX.)

I have an older TS DX500. It is about 10 to 12 years old but it too has been sittin for 5 to 7 years. I did have a problem with the 99 popping the Key up circuit in the TS. I am gonna have that all checked out and beefed up if possible when I do the radio and have them both optomized to work together.

I have a Galaxy 99v that I have had for about 12 years. It has been sittin for the last 5. I went to use it and it seems to not transmit. You can hear it key up but no vocal

It could be a simple as a bad Microphone, dirty contacts in the Mic switch or possibly a break in a wire in the Mic cord.
Before you go out and buy a new radio, I would see if you can get you hands on another Mic to try it with first.

Jeff

It could be a simple as a bad Microphone, dirty contacts in the Mic switch or possibly a break in a wire in the Mic cord.
Before you go out and buy a new radio, I would see if you can get you hands on another Mic to try it with first.

Jeff

Yea, That was the first thing I did. It didnt change things. I put the mic (Astatic D104) in my 29LTD and it worked great. I changed the antenna and still no change. I was getting a lot of alternator/engine noise then it quit working. My 29LTD doesnt get that noise in the same vehicle. One other thing I didn't mention, The meter quit working. You can see the red light when you key up but no meter swing at all. Its a bummer cause I really liked the radio.

I am going to look into the Galaxy 94HP also. That is pretty much what replaced the 99. I have been told that the SS 158-EDX is better for that amp.

sell the 99 and use the proceeds to help buy a new radio. I also have a 99, it too sat for many years and it works without a hitch. I have a 4x4 that's basically a beater, leaks crap everywhere and held together with duct tape. The alternator is caked in years of road grime and grease, makes so much noise other people hear it on their radios. The 99 is one of the few radios I got that filters out that alternator enough to be tolerable.

It sounds like something bad happened to that radio when it was stored. Water, animals, oil, a son/grandson/nephew trying to "test it out" with a car battery but no antenna, or a drop from the top shelf.

Good shops are few, best bet sell it on here or ebay to someone who tinkers with radios.

sell the 99 and use the proceeds to help buy a new radio. I also have a 99, it too sat for many years and it works without a hitch. I have a 4x4 that's basically a beater, leaks crap everywhere and held together with duct tape. The alternator is caked in years of road grime and grease, makes so much noise other people hear it on their radios. The 99 is one of the few radios I got that filters out that alternator enough to be tolerable.

It sounds like something bad happened to that radio when it was stored. Water, animals, oil, a son/grandson/nephew trying to "test it out" with a car battery but no antenna, or a drop from the top shelf.

Good shops are few, best bet sell it on here or ebay to someone who tinkers with radios.

let me guess, You'll buy it???......Just Kiddin!
I just sent it to a real good and highly respected shop to get redone. If it is to bad I will get a new one. If I can get it all back to good for about $100, I am cool with that. We'll see!

let me guess, You'll buy it???......Just Kiddin!
I just sent it to a real good and highly respected shop to get redone. If it is to bad I will get a new one. If I can get it all back to good for about $100, I am cool with that. We'll see!

DTB radio on here is highly respected. he,d be my first choice

Ranger RCI Superstar SS-158EDX Review

"(REVIEW UPDATE!!!)

After many months of running this radio I found that frequency stability on these radios to be an issue. The radios I used tended to drift up or down even after warm up. Now for me this was an issue, but I have spoken to two or three other people and some people have said they had no drift issues and other told me they ran into the same problems.

So my update to this review is this - these are awesome swinging radios with great audio and great performance for TX and RX on AM and SSB...

BUT.....due to the drift they experience you may have to consider it carefully if you plan to use it as a daily SSB radio.

The overall consensus from everyone who owns one (drift or no drift) is that they have awesome AUDIO!"

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.