• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for 50miles in a CB / SSB/ Export?

two meters if fine if you have an open repeater which covers both stations who wish to communicate to each other. The same would apply to UHF.
However, if there are not any suitable repeaters, then simplex would be the option. The problem with simplex on VHF between ground stations, where one is mobile, is multipath.
11 meters has a clear advantage on simplex operation for mobiles, due to lack of multipath propagation.
However, when the sunspots come back then 11 meters will be useless for local communication in 50 to 60mile range.

Shouldn't cost any more than $250 to put up a simple 3 element beam 25 ft off of the ground.

I don't believe he wants to be a Ham.

He has that right too.

Robb,

Just playing devil's advocate:

Is using a non type-accepted radio and running >4 W am power a RIGHT?

If it's against federal law, 10 out of 10 judges would say that it's not a right.

I'm just sayin'........

i talk to my locals every night a few are 50 miles away .one guy
has a imax at 60 feet at base of antenna .other guy has a jogunn
beam at 60 feet at the boom.this is done on ssb with me using
a magnum omnega force 40 watts and sirio 2016.in the mobile
I CAN hear them but cannot get back to them only using
12-15 wattson ssb

What it amounts to is that 'range' is a very bad way of thinking about radios in generals, there are just too @#$ many variables in that equation. Reliability costs. How much it costs depends on just how reliable you want it to be. Reliability increases as the cost increases, that's about as 'normal' as it gets.
Is there a 'pay as you go' type sat-phone? That's probably the most reliable method. It's also the most expensive, which is what you're trying to get away from and I can't blame you!
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Reliability and cost are not correlated precisely. Have you ever used a satphone? They are very positionally finicky and susceptible to call-drop.

Amateur VHF/UHF gear is cheaper than export gear, especially when factoring-in the cost of base antennas. I argue that with the majority of variables involved, that this is the best all-around solution for 50 miles.

This guy has received ample advice and opinions in this thread. I wonder what (and if) he made a choice.

JD

What it amounts to is that 'range' is a very bad way of thinking about radios in generals, there are just too @#$ many variables in that equation. Reliability costs. How much it costs depends on just how reliable you want it to be. Reliability increases as the cost increases, that's about as 'normal' as it gets.
Is there a 'pay as you go' type sat-phone? That's probably the most reliable method. It's also the most expensive, which is what you're trying to get away from and I can't blame you!
Good luck.
- 'Doc

my suburban with cobra 20 into a 1x2 into a 8pill
talking to a guy 92 miles away
he has a magnum s-9 into a Davemade straight 4pill.
in a ford f-250 kingranch 4door
both vehicles have 22 inch shaft Predator 10Ks

its 92 miles from my driveway to his driveway
when he keys up he puts a 2 s-unit on me and when i key up i put a 4 on his radio.

my be to much to spend for you mobile to mobile , might not be

but thats 92 miles everyday for the last 3 years

granted that the skip is not rolling
if its not then
we are talking when he leaves the house and i leave the house until we get to lubbock texas

Get a bird cage and a carrier pigeon. It will fly in all kinds of weather, isn't affected by atmospheric propagation, runs on bird feed, and doubles as a pet. Only downside is if there are hawks nesting along the travel route.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.