• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking For A Cheap 40amp or 50amp power supply For A 400w Amp

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
I have a 400w Palomar amp that does SSB I need a 40amp or 50amp power supply I am looking for something that is about $100?? Currently I have a 10amp 12 amp surge pyramid regulated power supply might be enough to run the amp on low. I also have a car battery charger that does 50amp fast charger it make a decent humming sound at 50amp would this work or would give a lot of feed back when I transmitt??

The car battery charger is likely unfiltered, producing half-wave (or, very unlikely, full-wave) rectification instead of steady DC. With a fully charged battery you might not notice any 60/120 Hz hum when receiving, but you'll probably get reports of hum on the transmitted signal. The "decent humming sound" is the sound of electrical equipment operating at or beyond what it's designed for. It's the only way it can call for help.

Reactions: Robb and Mudfoot
I have a 400w Palomar amp that does SSB I need a 40amp or 50amp power supply I am looking for something that is about $100?? Currently I have a 10amp 12 amp surge pyramid regulated power supply might be enough to run the amp on low. I also have a car battery charger that does 50amp fast charger it make a decent humming sound at 50amp would this work or would give a lot of feed back when I transmitt??

Megawatt Power supplies. They are sponsors of this board.

Probably not, your amp most likely has a 40 amp fuse inside and you want some buffer. The only way you might slide by is run it on Lo or Med and keep the drive levels down.

Reactions: Mudfoot
Megawatt carriers a 50amp model, I think it's right at $111. Give or take a few dollars. Good supplies for the money. The S700-12 is the one I would get.

if your palomar is a 4 pill amp, and im guessing it is; 50 amps is not going to cut it.
you need an 80 amp supply to run that amp. you may be able to get away with 70 amps if its class C, but if its class AB then you are going to need 80.

don't waste your money on a 50 amp supply.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.