• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for Advice and some help too!

radioguyuk47

Apr 19, 2013
Near Southwell, Notts - UK
Hi there fellow Dxers,
It's been quite a number of years since I first became a fully fledged Dxer - mus be 26 years +, so I'm looking for some help and advice!

I'm fed up with my Internet Radio, so have treated myself to a cracking little radio from Amazon called a
Trevi 741 Portable World Receiver Radio - 12 Band FM/MW/SW 1-10, as I see it's got some great reviews on there!!

Anyhow what sort of aerial should I need to get the best from this little radio?? An outside one?? What wire should I use and get from where?? Or should I opt for an Internal aerial??

Look forward to hearing from you all,
All the best
Nicolas

Hi there fellow Dxers,
It's been quite a number of years since I first became a fully fledged Dxer - mus be 26 years +, so I'm looking for some help and advice!

I'm fed up with my Internet Radio, so have treated myself to a cracking little radio from Amazon called a
Trevi 741 Portable World Receiver Radio - 12 Band FM/MW/SW 1-10, as I see it's got some great reviews on there!!

Anyhow what sort of aerial should I need to get the best from this little radio?? An outside one?? What wire should I use and get from where?? Or should I opt for an Internal aerial??

Look forward to hearing from you all,
All the best
Nicolas

I could not find any such receiver on Amazon but a good antenna would bean outside wire, horizontal. I have one that is about 60 feet long, three to five feet above the ground. I hear most anything.

73 mechanic

That or a discone antenna. Been looking at them myself, (discone antenna) that is. Need to find a good spot for one where I am. Wire would be easiest and most likely most stealthy though.

That or a discone antenna. Been looking at them myself, (discone antenna) that is. Need to find a good spot for one where I am. Wire would be easiest and most likely most stealthy though.

Discone for HF? Stealthy? LOL A discone for HF is far from stealthy. How many acres do you have?

Here is an HF discone antenna.

IMG_4185.jpg

And for size perspective.

Launch4life002.jpg

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your invaluable advice!!!!

I found this on Amazon - is this the sort of thing I should be looking for????

Attachments

• 31Hok847WFL._SL500_SR100,100_.jpg
    31Hok847WFL._SL500_SR100,100_.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 240
Here's the little beauty I've bought:
71kD45D0IhL._SL1110_.jpg
Looks to be a good receiver but is limited on HF frequencies as it covers mostly short wave broadcasters and has gaps in band coverage. A favorite of mine is the Tecsun PL-660 and a newer version will be out, the PL-670 soon. These cover the whole of HF, 100 kHz to 30 mHz and have USB and LSB including digital readout and memories.
Expect to pay a bit more for a full coverage receiver with all modes but you will hear many more stations and comms. The PL-660 also has SYNC detection to aid in reception during poor or fading band conditions. Of course a long wire always makes a difference! Think of your antenna as a fish net, the bigger the net the more fish you will catch!

73 mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned