• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking For Advise on IC-V8

KB1SYV

Old School Newbie
Sep 11, 2009
On me boat!
www.qsl.net
Hi Guy's,

I have a chance to buy an IC-V8 without the external mic for $75.00. So far this is the only thing in my budget and I wanted to know if I would be wasting my time or if I should take advantage of the avenue it affords me to get on the airwaves. Does this radio have good range, could I start rolling in some qsl's with this?

thanks

Jethro

It's a 2 meter HT, not much different from dozens of other 2 meter HTs. With the proper selection of an antenna, you will have greater "range" than with just the rubber ducky, but it's still going to be very close to line of sight. You may be able to hear farther than you can talk.

IC-V8;

I have one. It's a great radio that's very impressive. I have the rechargeable battery pack and the AA battery pack. Both are handy, and the radio will run for nearly a full day's use, with moderate Tx, on either battery.

The stock antenna is decent. I can pick up repeaters from 3-4 miles out, with good line of sight. And I'm in the middle of the Rockies. The Rx is very impressive. I can easily moniter the Colorado Connection 2m repeaters near me. One is 29 miles from me, the other is 32 miles. Rx on weather band is impressive and pretty handy, too.

Menu systems are simple and straight forward. Direct frequency input is very simple, which I like. Entering offsets, tone/codes, and etc, are all simple to learn. The clip is pretty good, too. Nice and solid on the belt.

For what it's worth, I have a mag mount 2m/440 antenna that's very impressive with the V8. I did a distance test with it recently in a city (I'm not normally in a city) and found the V8 on high power (5.5w) would hit his base from about 5 1/4 miles. The city we were testing is is pretty typical, minor elevation changes here and there, traffic, repeaters, and normal city stuff. I think with a good antenna, you could expect to get 4-5 miles, depending on terrain and all those other odds that factor in.

Anyway, long story no quite so long, I'd pick it up. If you just looking for a 2 meter, they're a great buy. If you end up with it, and don't like it, I think it'd be easy to sell. Heck, I'd buy it if you don't.

Thanks Luke. By the way, I'm saving to buy the FT-897D as well, but that's further down the road. If you have the time, could you PM me about any issues positive and negative you've encountered on that radio. I don't think it would be prudent to ask on this thread.

Thanks.

Jethro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.