• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking for mobile antenna under $50?

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
I been shopping around lately for a mag mount antenna. Everybody likes the wilson 1000/5000 but I got a feeling it aint really worth the $80 price.
I am looking for a full size 1/4 or 5/8 wave antenna, at least 4' tall. I would like something known to preform equal or better to my K40.

I did find this Midland antenna for under $20, I think I might get this one, NMO mount so I can swap antennas for VHF, unless someone advises this thing is crap.
Midland 18352 Deluxe Wideband Ham CB Antenna Kit With Trunk Lip Mount, NMO style trunk lip mount, 17 feet of coax with an unprocessed end, PL295 connector, High grade antenna featuring a tapered, heavy duty stainless steel whip, 24KT plated antenna c

NMO style trunk lip mount
17 feet of coax with an unprocessed end
PL295 connector
High grade antenna featuring a tapered, heavy duty stainless steel whip, 24KT plated antenna connections, and a 500 watt coil.
The whip can be cut to work on 26.5 - 31MHz frequencies.
Stands 54" before cutting.
Whip is 49".

I have no idea if that antenna is comparable to your K40 or not. I can say that the NMO type of a mount is a pretty good idea, but I'm not a fan of 'trunk lip' mounts of that particular style. I guess if the shipping doesn't eat you up, it mat be worth what they're asking. Up to you.
- 'Doc

I been shopping around lately for a mag mount antenna. Everybody likes the wilson 1000/5000 but I got a feeling it aint really worth the $80 price.
I am looking for a full size 1/4 or 5/8 wave antenna, at least 4' tall. I would like something known to preform equal or better to my K40.

I did find this Midland antenna for under $20, I think I might get this one, NMO mount so I can swap antennas for VHF, unless someone advises this thing is crap.
Midland 18352 Deluxe Wideband Ham CB Antenna Kit With Trunk Lip Mount, NMO style trunk lip mount, 17 feet of coax with an unprocessed end, PL295 connector, High grade antenna featuring a tapered, heavy duty stainless steel whip, 24KT plated antenna c

NMO style trunk lip mount
17 feet of coax with an unprocessed end
PL295 connector
High grade antenna featuring a tapered, heavy duty stainless steel whip, 24KT plated antenna connections, and a 500 watt coil.
The whip can be cut to work on 26.5 - 31MHz frequencies.
Stands 54" before cutting.
Whip is 49".
im not a big fan of trunk lip mounts .for the money a wilson lil wil costs around 30-35 dollaers and mounted on the roof it works great for a little 36 inch inch antenna.
the wilson 500 is often overlooked but its around 4feet in lenth and when mounted on
the roof it was very close in performance to the bigger 1000/5000
i wont reccomend a trunk mount .most trunks are cars anymore are useless for
grounding ,plus for BEST optiminal performance the highest point in vehicle is best
it provides the best groundplane.whatever ya choose i HIGHLY recommend mounting it
on the roof

I should have been more clear, i need it for my other vehicle and as a loaner, gotta be mag mount to swap from vehicle to vehicle.

I run a 102" on the corner of my truck and a K40 on our minivan and to me they preform the same, although for sure the 102" would do better if it could be mounted more on center, but its on a complex vehicle to mount an antenna, an old 4runner with fiberglass top.

I know there are or were hundreds of different short loaded whips of around 3 foot in length or less, and are still available even at Walmart. I dont care about those, 102" and base loaded antennas of the 4' to 5' range, like a K40 or Wilson 1000 beat their ass at the expense of smacking more trees.

I just like to know whats on the market besides K40, Wilson and Siro.

Last edited:
The original poster asked if there are other brands of antennas of the mag mount type other than the 'top three'.

Yes; there are. But did you ever ask your self what they aren't in that 'top three'?
Prolly because that didn't make 'the grade'.

A mag mount is a compromise of a solid mount antenna. But I've always been pleased with the mag mount antennas I use. So long as it is mounted on the top and in the middle they usually work very well.

A Sirio and Wilson are fine and I own and use them both - alternately.
Gave away the last K40 I had. Never tried a Lil Wil; but I did help a friend get his working. I think they work at the same level as a K40. The K40 is just OK; but the Sirio and the Wilson 1000 or 5000 are the real talents here - IMO.

As to your limit of $50 for an antenna, I would get a used Wilson 1000 or 5000. Because at that cash limit, you aren't going to get a fine antenna for new anyway . . .

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.