• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Low channel mod for UPD-2816

I found a few of these SPECTOR SP-41 kits in some of my inherited stuff. I think it's close to the Galaxy kits for 29 etc.
Not sure if it's relevant here or not, it does have upper and lower setups, the chips are shaved on them.
There's a list of radio applications on the .pdf.

spector_41.jpg

Attachments

• Spector-SP-41.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
I found a few of these SPECTOR SP-41 kits in some of my inherited stuff. I think it's close to the Galaxy kits for 29 etc.
Not sure if it's relevant here or not, it does have upper and lower setups, the chips are shaved on them.

View attachment 66928
While I can't prove anything, the physical layout of that "Spector SP-41" kit looks about like what you'd expect from the diagram in the link Techniloco posted. Frequency coverage appears to be identical as well. Odds are that it's the same circuit, so the chips would be a 7493 4-bit counter and a 7400 quad NAND gate. Both of which are still available. So they went and shaved them for nothing.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
While I can't prove anything, the physical layout of that "Spector SP-41" kit looks about like what you'd expect from the diagram in the link Techniloco posted. Frequency coverage appears to be identical as well. Odds are that it's the same circuit, so the chips would be a 7493 4-bit counter and a 7400 quad NAND gate. Both of which are still available. So they went and shaved them for nothing.
These kits are probably over 25 plus years old, back when it was a secret.

View attachment 66928
I have 3 of these. If someone wants to try one, it would be the cost of shipping.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
I remember installing a few of these back in the 1980s. The tripler coil's setting becomes both touchy and critical. Found that the temperature swings in a mobile installation would mess with the tripler settings just enough to cause intermittent trouble. Base station users didn't seem to have this problem.

Never got around to trying to analyze just what it's doing back when the numbers were scraped off the chips. Still don't have the picture of exactly what changes it is making to the PLL.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.