• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

M4V power supply?

Have you run it in the Mobile yet, what are you seeing on output? That may be to dirty to run with close neighbors for a base amp?

I don't have a mobile set up in a mobile! I drive a Co truck with a radio only stipulation. When I first hooked it up on the base for smoke test purposes, I had a 3 watt dead key from the radio with the high low driver switch on the amp on 10 watt. Amp on low! Keyed up around 250 watt dead key with a 350 watt swing. These numbers are give or take, well because IT WAS a smoke test. I gave it a real short key and audio just to see where I was with it. That's when I put the fluke on the power supply and checked for a voltage drop. And yadda yadda here I am with it out of line and researching power supplies. :sad:

With unregulated biasing, make sure you use a regulated supply and keep it at 14 volts or less.

That is a very scary statement, just imagine an unregulated biasing scheme and trying to keep that in check with the power supply.

Better have a high wattage bias resistor.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the M4V is worth the possible trouble and definate expence too run on the base?
The magnum 4000 just doesn't have the reach out and hammer someone power though. Don't get me wrong, three hundred watts gets me across town but I've always liked have a hammer available with the flip of a switch!
The main problem I'm dealing with is I love my galaxy Saturn and from my understanding it drives to hard for a toober.
The M4V would be great with the driver pill bypass but im still looking at seven hundred for a 100 amp off brand power supply that maybe still wouldn't be big enough too power it. :unsure:

What kind of antenna are you running?
You will probably find that spending that kind of money on a high gain antenna ( if you have the space) will provide a better bang for your buck, with the added benefit of better RX.
Just something to think about.

Jeff

I'm running a old penetrator 500 at 36' too the the base.
I had just totally rebuilt it and it's 10-8. I'm still undecided what too do about an amp. The four pill will do for now. It picked up a 70 amp Astron to run it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.