• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco 103C Beam for HF?

Wow,...and to think, I never even mentioned mobile antenas.:blink:
Gotta love it.
I'm now considering selling that Maco, including the rotator, control and all. It's less tahn a year old, with spray galvanize on it, plus the elements are filled with insulation.
The Cushcraft R8 looks nice.

Wow,...and to think, I never even mentioned mobile antenas.:blink:
Gotta love it.
I'm now considering selling that Maco, including the rotator, control and all. It's less tahn a year old, with spray galvanize on it, plus the elements are filled with insulation.
The Cushcraft R8 looks nice.

yeah, sometimes threads do get 'jacked.:cry:

there was a thread a few days (weeks?) ago and i mentioned about using foam inside the elements. its easy to do and does have advantages:)

" Overhead electrical wires are something to be considered as well but if you want to drive under a 66,000 volt line that is 14 feet off the ground with your 15 foot high antenna then by all means go for it. :laugh:"

Wont hurt a thing, my tires are made of rubber.:love:

I also happen to operate a forklift with 60" overhead clearance, so I do understand overhead wires, though. LOL

You might want to reread the statutes. It clearly states "Vehicle" and says nothing about accessories to said vehicle.
If your definition was true, many existing ham antennas and cb antennas on trucks would be illegal.

Sorry about that, I kinda got caught up in the current.:oops::oops:

I would try the yagi you have, and NEVER put foam in the elements. It is highly corrosive.

PR

You might want to reread the statutes. It clearly states "Vehicle" and says nothing about accessories to said vehicle.
If your definition was true, many existing ham antennas and cb antennas on trucks would be illegal.

Antennas mounted on a vehicle are considered part of the vehicle. By your definition the load is not part of the vehicle yet the statutes pertain to it. :love:

OK enough thread hijacking. Go build your shed and if you need/want any more pix let me know. :D

" Overhead electrical wires are something to be considered as well but if you want to drive under a 66,000 volt line that is 14 feet off the ground with your 15 foot high antenna then by all means go for it. :laugh:"

Wont hurt a thing, my tires are made of rubber.:love:

I also happen to operate a forklift with 60" overhead clearance, so I do understand overhead wires, though. LOL

Tires don't have very much rubber in them anymore, but do have a high carbon content (read electrical conducter) in them now.

About that 'Cushcraft R8'. Read the specs very carefully! Expected bandwidth on each band really is a biggy. If you don't plan to move around on most bands, a narrow bandwidth is not a problem. If you plan to go from one end to the other on the lower HF bands, forget it. The higher HF bands work just fine. (Had an R-7. It worked. Wasn't thrilled with the price at all, but it worked. 40 meters worked okay in one spot, NOT the whole band. I've still got parts of it around here, you want'em?)
- 'Doc

About that 'Cushcraft R8'. Read the specs very carefully! Expected bandwidth on each band really is a biggy. If you don't plan to move around on most bands, a narrow bandwidth is not a problem. If you plan to go from one end to the other on the lower HF bands, forget it. The higher HF bands work just fine. (Had an R-7. It worked. Wasn't thrilled with the price at all, but it worked. 40 meters worked okay in one spot, NOT the whole band. I've still got parts of it around here, you want'em?)
- 'Doc

Enough parts to run off of?

- 'Doc

I have visions of Doc being frustrated with the performance and bandwidth limitations on the lower bands and destroying the R-7 in a rage of frustration about not being able to work some rare entity because it was outside the operating bandwidth of the antenna.Hence the "spare parts" he has just lying around. :laugh:

Captain Kilowatt,
I really hate to disillusion you, but it involved age of the antenna. That @#$ fiberglass insulator at the bottom finally gave up it's ghost. But, aftr something like 15 years, I can't complain too much. (Like #e$$ I can't! I paid money for that @#$ thing, it ought'a last longer than me! Right?)
- 'Doc

[may the bird of paradise rain on your parade... in Canadian dollars! ... hows that one?]

Oh! I don't chase DX, they chase me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.