• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco 103C Beam for HF?

I forgot about those insulators. My buddy has an R5(?) I think it was and the insulator broke on him as well. We managed to fashion up an insulator using some UHMW plastic.

... NEVER put foam in the elements. It is highly corrosive.

PR

??? perhaps the cheap stuff you buy at home depot is,

the expandable foam product i use is NOT corrosive:
"Air Krete is 100% non-toxic and environmentally safe. It does not contain carcinogenic fibers, asbestos, fiberglass, formaldehyde or chlorinated fluorocarbons. Air Krete is odor free and non-corrosive " :love::love:

??? perhaps the cheap stuff you buy at home depot is,

the expandable foam product i use is NOT corrosive:
"Air Krete is 100% non-toxic and environmentally safe. It does not contain carcinogenic fibers, asbestos, fiberglass, formaldehyde or chlorinated fluorocarbons. Air Krete is odor free and non-corrosive " :love::love:

I've used DAP/tex for years for several metal applications and I've never seen it corrode anything.

I've heard of using a piece of rope in the elements to dampen vibrations but what is the purpose of using foam insulation? Is it to dampen vibrations or strengthen the elements? If the latter then you need to reconsider where you buy your antennas from. :whistle:

I've heard of using a piece of rope in the elements to dampen vibrations but what is the purpose of using foam insulation? Is it to dampen vibrations or strengthen the elements? If the latter then you need to reconsider where you buy your antennas from. :whistle:

The papers that came with my maco 103 beam said to use the rope in the elements for vibration dampening but did not mention any foam filling. A 3/8" or 1/2" tube of foam inside the elements will not provide any extra strength to speak off.

That's what I though of as well but I seem to remember a few people saying to use spray insulation to stiffen the elements to give it more strength. Probably one of those technical things from the same file as the Moonraker multi wire reflector kits. :whistle:

That's what I though of as well but I seem to remember a few people saying to use spray insulation to stiffen the elements to give it more strength. Probably one of those technical things from the same file as the Moonraker multi wire reflector kits. :whistle:

Well, there is no strength in a 1/2" tube of spray foam insulation is what I really meant, not foam type pipe insulation. IMO, all you are doing by spraying foam in the elements is wasting a good can of insulation that could be used around your windows and/or doors....

And I'm not so sure of the galvinized paint on antennas either....just don't sound right to me........

It was my own idea to keep the elements from singing in the wind and by the way, it works well. Since then, I've heard that I wasn't the first to do it either. It's lighter than rope too.

When you use rope you only need a couple feet for each element not the entire length so weight should not be much. The problem with spray foam insulation is taking the antenna apart and reassembling it again.

The spray foam that I used was non-expanding and it only went in about a foot from the end and then I put the rubber caps back on. Pretty much the same as the rope. It would have no impact on disassembly or reassembly.
My theory was that between the spray galvanize on the outside and the insulation on the inside, I could both protect it from the salt air, (I live near the ocean) the wind, (noise) snow, ice, rain, etc., thus prolonging it's life. By the way, the nuts, bolts and connectors will be like new upon disassembly as well.
I gotta tell you though, you guys sure do know how to pick apart a simple post and turn it into a major discussion. Sheeesh!

The spray foam that I used was non-expanding and it only went in about a foot from the end and then I put the rubber caps back on. Pretty much the same as the rope. It would have no impact on disassembly or reassembly.
My theory was that between the spray galvanize on the outside and the insulation on the inside, I could both protect it from the salt air, (I live near the ocean) the wind, (noise) snow, ice, rain, etc., thus prolonging it's life. By the way, the nuts, bolts and connectors will be like new upon disassembly as well.

I have heard of some people that completely fill the elements with expanding foam and that is what I thought you had done hence my comment about being hard to disassemble.

I gotta tell you though, you guys sure do know how to pick apart a simple post and turn it into a major discussion. Sheeesh!

It's what we do best. :D

Seriously, some of us ,myself included, have been in this radio business long enough to have seen just about everything that was ever a good idea or a complete waste of time or something in the middle.Nothing surprises us anymore so when we see something that seems a bit dubious we feel compelled to make sure the poster understands the ramifications of making his decision because somewhere, sometime, we have either seen it, heard it, or in some cases done it, and still hang our head in shame for it whenever it gets mentioned. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.