• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

maco 5/8 vs. sirio 827 ??????

B

BOOTY MONSTER

so the maco can be had for just a lil over 100 shipped , the 827 is about $150 shipped .
the 827 has a leak issue near the so-239 but some aquarium silicone should take care of that .
both being 5/8 the tx and rx should be similar . does one having four full length ground radials and the other having eight 55 inchers give either an advantage ?
durability for the buck is the difference im really looking for here . the 827 is touted as sirios strongest built antenna by far , but its other antenas are supposedly very poorly counstucted with thin materials that wont last in high winds . so just how much merit does that strongest claim give it compared to the maco ?
does the 827 use or need the anti vibration ring like the 20xx series does ?

with the exception of dipoles or 1/4 waves i just cant find material locally for a reasonable price (IMO) to build a 5/8 . as MC says coax and antenna are the most important things . its not 9913f7 but 50 foot of 8x is enough for my run (maybe later upgrade :? ) and in the real world with just a TS 500 should show little difference . an i10k is entirely out of the question ! way too much money for me to drop on an antenna at one time . i know.......buy once...... just not feasable for my wallet . not sure that i can do the 150 for the 827 but if its worth the 40-45 buck difference i might can swing that . the antenna will be about 18-28 feet . i dont know what the maco weighs but sirio says the 827 weighs about 13 1/4 lbs , anyone know what the maco weighs ? peak of the roof is 14 foot high and i figgure put the bottom of the mast 2 foot into the ground .
is "1 3/8" x 10'6" Top Rail" for chain link fencing ok to use for mast ? if i only have 4 feet sticking above the mount at the roofs peak could a third section hold a big 5/8 ? if not and i wanted to go 28 feet up what would be the smallest diameter pipe to use ?

thanks

i spent yesterday and sunday rebuilding a sirio827 that went open circuit for the second time,
after a total stripdown and cleanup of the matching section and hubs we rivetted an aluminum strap between the top hub and the fat lower radiator section then sealed it all with liquid electrical tape,
its back up and working fine again ( for now )

this particular 827 lives 50 yards from my buddies i10k which has been up twice as long without the slightest bit of trouble,
they have both seen 100+mph winds,

the 827 is the strongest antenna sirio make,

yes they need the ring, locals call them howler rings, it stops the radials vibrating loose and falling off and it helps minimise the howling that will drive you nuts if its fixed to the house,

chainlink fence poles are useless for the 827 in high winds,

most decent silicone is corrosive to aluminium. use liquid electrical tape,

seal everything in the lower section, hubs coil connections radials grubscrews EVERYTHING,

i cant comment on the maco, i did have the original wilson v5/8 vertical in the late 70's and that was not as sturdy as the 827,
if the maco is weaker with its cheap .049" wall tube its not worth a dime to me, save now pay more in the long run,

only you know what weather you get and what properties you look for in an antenna,

the 827 is also known as the PAN hurricane in europe.

Isn't the 827 also know as the SIRIO BLIZZARD in the german market?
Truck king sell it and say its stronger than the normal 827, true? i've no idea!
The add says..
LIMITED EDITION OF THE TOP PERFORMING SIRIO 827 MADE FOR THE GERMAN MARKET - THE BLIZZARD INCLUDES A STATIC DISPERSAL TOP HAT PLUS ANTI VIBRATION RING AND A SILVER ROD STYLE MOUNTING BASE - OVER £25 WORTH OF EXTRAS !

THIS TOP DX AERIAL IS A 21 FOOT 5/8 WAVE WITH 8 RADIALS AND THE MAIN ANTENNA CONSTRUCTION IS WIND RESISTANT MAGNESIUM ALLOY WHICH IS VERY DURABLE.

THE 827 HAS A WIDE BAND WIDTH WHICH WILL COMFORTABLY COVER OVER 2.5 MHz AND IT IS ALSO SUITABLE FOR HF USE COVERING 10 TO 20m WITH A SUITABLE ATU.

CONSIDERED BY MANY EXPERIENCED 11m OPERATORS TO BE THE NUMBER ONE DX ANTENNA

THIS ANTENNA IS SUPPLIED NEW AND DELIVERY IS BY CARRIER [UK MAINLAND ONLY].

FOR FORTHER INFORMATION ON THIS PRODUCT CALL 01636 676898

SIRIO BLIZZARD 2700-LIMITED EDITION 827-CB BASE ANTENNA on eBay (end time 13-Dec-09 11:34:38 GMT)

our local radio shop is selling a version of the 827 made with the horrible corrugated tubing that cte use for their energy antennas, not sure what they are calling it but i would steer well clear.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.