• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco Laser 400 vs Maco Laser 500

i don't have any first hand reports with either but I did know a guy back on my cb days that ran the Wilson SuperLaser 500 (same as the Maco). He had it mounted about 40 feet up, the element just cleared the roof. Seemed to work good, had a Tram D201a hooked to it.

In my opinion that is a lot of money to waste on only 440khz of band space.

Maybe some people first heard of it from W8JI but the theory surrounding it has been around for a lot longer.EME'ers have long taken advantage of ground reflection gain when the moon is low on the horizon. The problem with ground gain is that it depends a lot on the terrain and any nearby obstructions. It is also the reason why Antron claim 9.9 dB gain from their A-99. Take 5 dB away and you get a much more realistic figure of 4.9 dB and take another 2.1 dB away from isotropic figures and you end up with a very realistic 2.8 dB over a halfwave in freespace.
My father had a laser 400 in the early 80s it was a great beam . When in use he could over talk people 30 miles away that wh were a mile apart with that beam pointed at one of them. Sorry but it is and was a great talking beam

All this yapping about nothing. Just put up what you want and be happy. Imo, not much difference between the two. I own a NOS Wilson laser 400 that one day I may put up. I also own a nos gizmotchy 6 element and a nos Astrobeam.

Original post is 10 years old. I doubt if fourty2 is still around.

BTW ... Cap'n K said it right:
EME'ers have long taken advantage of ground reflection gain when the moon is low on the horizon. The problem with ground gain is that it depends a lot on the terrain and any nearby obstructions. It is also the reason why Antron claims 9.9 dB gain from their A-99. Take 5 dB away and you get a much more realistic figure of 4.9 dB and take another 2.1 dB away from isotropic figures and you end up with a very realistic 2.8 dB over a halfwave in freespace.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.