• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco VQ3 V-Quad 11 meter antenna

DelR

May 2, 2024
Does anyone have any experience with this antenna they can share with me. I am trying to decide between the Maco VQ3 V-Quad and the Maco M104C 4 element.

Yes. I absolutely loved it till storm got it. There's a few different threads about the VQ3 on forum.

The M104 has far more gain. I had an M104 twice over the years, but never had a VQ3. However, I helped a buddy assemble, test and place one once. It was a real PIA to keep tuned because the wires stretched twice after we put it up (pre-stretched) the first time, and we had to re-tighten them. It did a great job for it's size and had a nice rejection lobe off the back.

I'm afraid your figures on gain are incorrect. Add in the higher take off angle the VQ3 should outperform the M104 on long distance skip.

Screenshot_20240505_171029_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20240505_170910_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Correct, I was quoting what is on Copper Electronics. I did not understand how the VQ3 has 14.5 dB with 27xPM, and the M104 has 14 dB with 28xPM. Is this the takeoff angle you were talking about?

Attachments

• Maco VQ 3.jpg
    Maco VQ 3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Maco 104C.jpg
    Maco 104C.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 12
No, the takeoff angle references the radiation pattern and the angle at which I believe it hits the ionosphere and is bounced back toward earth (someone more technically minded here correct me if I am wrong) of which the angle of the VQUAD / VQ3 series has a superior angle for longer distance per bounce, or maybe it was shorter, whichever was better the VQ3 was ahead vs a four element I beleive was how it worked out. There's an excellent thread on the VQUAD vs 3 element in antenna simulator somewhere on this forum which would be similar to VQ3 vs M104.
I'm just a layman at this, there a few seriously hardcore antenna experts on here that would explain and know far better than me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keto
That's mounting height of the beam IE @ this height vs that chart. IDK why our experts are sitting back watching me flounder about lol

New Document_14.jpg
New Document_13.jpg
New Document_12.jpg
New Document_12.jpg
New Document_11.jpg
New Document_10.jpg
New Document_8.jpg
New Document_7.jpg
New Document_8.jpg
New Document_7.jpg
New Document_9.jpg
New Document_6.jpg
New Document_5.jpg
New Document_4.jpg
New Document_3.jpg

New Document_2.jpg
New Document_0.jpg

Attachments

• New Document_3.jpg
    New Document_3.jpg
    947.2 KB · Views: 7
  • New Document_0.jpg
    New Document_0.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • New Document_1.jpg
    New Document_1.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 13
  • New Document_4.jpg
    New Document_4.jpg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 8
  • New Document_5.jpg
    New Document_5.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 8
  • New Document_6.jpg
    New Document_6.jpg
    720.8 KB · Views: 8
" Is this the takeoff angle you were talking about?"

Some info that might help.
Antenna take off angle is how the signal leaves the antenna.
Generally you want a low take off angle to keep the signal down on the horizon to allow the signal to travel further when working DX
Screenshot_20240505-204518~2.png

Antenna modeling programs can show what the take off angle of antennas are.
Screenshot_20240505-204617~2.png

The above modeling image is a 4 element Yagi antenna.
The lobe marked "B" is the dominant lobe and is down close to the horizon, that is good for long haul DX.
Generally for dx work you want low take off angles.
There are also other things that come into play, like " nulls" that can effect how your signal leaves the antenna.
There are cases were a high take off angle " can " be good if you are trying to get a signal up to a elevation above your station.
I suggest doing some research on antenna take off angles to help you to understand how this works.
There is lots of info on the web, it can get complicated with height above ground, frequency being used and more.
It takes some study to understand

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: lonestarbandit
One of the other perhaps benefits of the VQs are you can kind of best of both worlds with the polarization of the signal.
IE if you're trying to talk vertical / mobile or omnidirectional guys or horizontal (flat side) to yagi beam guys..... the m103/04 so on is either or (vertical or horizontal) and VQ series you can kinda split the difference and get both decently though the the m103/04 etc probably would be better if you only wanted to hit the yagi beam guys for skip. (This is not a technically informed opinion just what I have picked up over time from others and personal experience)
All this discussion and the fact my VQ was destroyed by tornado makes me want to try out the MC3 as I already have had VQ3 and VQUAD.... just not sure my cheap rotor would take the weight under wind loading ....but considering it.
If I'm off base on what I'm saying I'm sure Jeff or one of the other guys can correct me.

One of the other perhaps benefits of the VQs are you can kind of best of both worlds with the polarization of the signal.
IE if you're trying to talk vertical / mobile or omnidirectional guys or horizontal (flat side) to yagi beam guys..... the m103/04 so on is either or (vertical or horizontal) and VQ series you can kinda split the difference and get both decently though the the m103/04 etc probably would be better if you only wanted to hit the yagi beam guys for skip. (This is not a technically informed opinion just what I have picked up over time from others and personal experience)
All this discussion and the fact my VQ was destroyed by tornado makes me want to try out the MC3 as I already have had VQ3 and VQUAD.... just not sure my cheap rotor would take the weight under wind loading ....but considering it.
If I'm off base on what I'm saying I'm sure Jeff or one of the other guys can correct me.
Sounds good to me. That is what I was thinking on the VQ3.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio