• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Made in Chicom

So sad. That greedy folks might be out of a job. Now they will have to do nothing(no pride in business to make money), A sparkplug will start making cb's and ssb's in the US right after minimum wage in California is $20. CB's will be more expensive but rest assured they will all have Chinese manufactured parts. Unless we can figure out how to teach all these phone pokers how to do something.

Reactions: S&W357 and TheRATT
"About 15 years ago, Cedar moved its manufacturing to China to save money on parts and labor, Karnes said."

So, he has been undercutting American manufacturing for 15 years,... and now we are supposed to feel sorry for him?

Just like anything else made in China the price is a lot cheaper to the end consumer. People will say all the time they would rather buy Made in the USA even if it is more expensive but truth be told when the quality is the same, and it often is depending on the product as cuts have been made EVERYWHERE, consumers will most often buy the lower priced item. If it was a one-time thing maybe not but when you start piling up all those items bought over the year it adds up to a big difference.

The crux of the problem lies in how much we are willing to roll up our sleeves and do some work.

Meanwhile other countries are making a mint off of us and paying their workers in Goats, Sheeps and Carrots.

Don't you mean it all depends on how cheaply American workers are willing to work for? Hard work is not the same as cheap labour. The end consumer has to decide between cheap goods built by workers paid in goats, sheep and carrots or expensive goods built by high paid workers. Guess which way they tend to swing. I'll give you a hint: think Walmart aka Chinamart.

The whole ironic thing about this is that Trump thought that by imposing tariffs he would send jobs back to America when in reality labour costs are too high for the end consumer on a LOT of goods and those currently manufacturing in China are indeed looking at moving just not back to America and are looking at other countries with lots of cheap labour. South Asian countries especially India are probably likely targets.

Reactions: TheRATT
People want their $100 55" tv's... Not going to happen if they are made here.

My point exactly. Sadly in today's society people have become used to cheap disposable goods. They live in the moment if not paycheque to paycheque and take the cheapest option sometimes out of necessity and sometimes out of shear unwillingness to pay more. I am in a situation where I can usually look for something in the upper middle range unless it is an item I will use a lot and then I look for the higher end item but it still usually made in China. I have bought the odd low dollar items if it was something I bought to do a specific job and will likely never use again. Think off-brand Harbor Freight brands versus Dewalt. If I could find the EXACT same quality and the price was not THAT much different yes I would rather buy domestic than foreign but that is almost NEVER the case and I don't really see it changing much any time soon.

The whole ironic thing about this is that Trump thought that by imposing tariffs he would send jobs back to America when in reality labour costs are too high for the end consumer on a LOT of goods and those currently manufacturing in China are indeed looking at moving just not back to America and are looking at other countries with lots of cheap labour. South Asian countries especially India are probably likely targets.
I would bet that part of the deal for North Korea has to do with trade. North Korea will be the new China. Tons of money to be made in emerging markets.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Don't you mean it all depends on how cheaply American workers are willing to work for? Hard work is not the same as cheap labour. The end consumer has to decide between cheap goods built by workers paid in goats, sheep and carrots or expensive goods built by high paid workers. Guess which way they tend to swing. I'll give you a hint: think Walmart aka Chinamart.

I lost a good living because the trades left our shores when NAFTA came into play - this is part of the rebound we have to accept.

One of the jobs I got let go from was due to downsizing - I was willing to accept a pay cut - anything I could do in order to keep my job. Too late they said - the people we needed to support us are also unemployed.

That was in the 2008 crash. We were bleeding our labor forces dry from low-cost imports that eventually cost us our jobs - way back when NAFTA was signed - subtle hint: Before 9/11/01 - "We" - read those jobs that were lost had been living a credit lifeline since that time and then in the 2008' crash - they said enough.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I would bet that part of the deal for North Korea has to do with trade. North Korea will be the new China. Tons of money to be made in emerging markets.

I hadn't thought of that but it certainly is a possibility. that would piss China off big time and who knows how they would respond. Could be a whole new kind of battleground.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.