• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

magnum 257 microphone-how does it work?

I recently acquired an HR2600 w/o the factory mic. Roger Bird has chipswitched it, and has advised me how to wire the buttons, which do not require any different voltages or additional components. I have some micro button switches from Mouser, hoping to get them installed in EC-2018, DM-452 or D104m6b, anyone have any luck with any of these ?

Todd
With the wiring diagram that part is a piece of cake, getting creative with the switche locations will be the part where you need to be surgical.

Reactions: Cabover Bob
I used to put Radio Shack micro buttons in 636L and RK56 mics for Ranger and HR2510's, I'm sure that the buttons can be got from other places, like Mouser or Digikey, eBay. They looked great after I was done. But that was loooong ago.

RS used to sell pairs of these, one red, and one black for I think $5 a pair.

I have used this style as well in a pinch. These are a little bit bigger.

You want Normally Open (NO Momentary). This "makes" the contact when you press the button.

When I worked at Shadow Communications from 1993-2000 in the Youngstown OH area near The Ohio Turnpike and I-80 after the I-76/I-80 split, we had at least 1 or 2 in stock, ready to go. It was an "idle time" filler, in between radio repairs.

I took 636L's and drilled out 2 holes along the top, equidistant to each other, using the tip of my soldering iron to make the starter holes, then drill out the rest of the way to fit the buttons, but out of the way of the PTT switch, wired them up so the Red button was for Up and Black for Down. The leads of the buttons had to be bent to accommodate putting the PTT switch back in.

On the RK56, the PTT was in an angle, so I had to compensate for that.

I am in Tampa, been in Florida since 2000 (Upper Pinellas County 2000-2012, moved to Tampa in 2012). I am working in the TVRO field now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio