• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S3 operating questions

Chainsawgang

Jan 19, 2007
Georgia
I have a couple of quick questions on the S3.
# 1- What is the best power setting if using the Topgun modulator? Or does it matter when it is turned on ?
# 2- What does this SWR warning light mean , I know the Mags are sensitive to high SWR but, I switched the warning light on --- it showed a solid RED . Checked SWR it was 1.2. Then I later ( as I travelled ) it was going on & off RED . Can someone explain what these mean ?

I am using a Wilson 5000 mag mount Spiderman. I have a SWR of only 1.2 (it can go as high as 1.4 ) , I thought I would probably be OK but, as I travel up & down the road of course, I have temporary moments of high SWR I guess. Times when there are big trailers on either side of the pick up going down the road. I noticed once on my drive in this AM the light would stay on -- No FLASHING sometimes , Then I pulled in next to a trailer & it was flashing too much reflection I guess.
Reply to LORDS

Thanks for the info re: Topgun , I tried it & had the power turned completely down ...one of my buds had no trouble hearing me
Then I turned power setting up to about 50% , he could hear me fine there too.
Then I turned Topgun off turned power up to 75% he said it sounded about the same with the Topgun on - & power @ 50%. hmmmmmm

Hey I appreciate the info .....it's a new unit to me & I am still learning. If you guys have any more operating info to give ....I AM ALL EARS !

Reply to LORDS

Thanks for the info re: Topgun , I tried it & had the power turned completely down ...one of my buds had no trouble hearing me
Then I turned power setting up to about 50% , he could hear me fine there too.
Then I turned Topgun off turned power up to 75% he said it sounded about the same with the Topgun on - & power @ 50%. hmmmmmm

topgun you will only see a difference farther away like 30 miles or more ,plus you will see more of a swing....

as for your swr problem ,your not to be keying up next to trailer
or park next to one keying up...lol in case you didnt know that:)

lords said:
Topgun modulator drops your dead key and gives you a higher swing like 1watt swinging(modulating)30 watts instead of dead keying 15watts swinging 25 or so...and has a sp1 built in speech processor when turned on..to punch out tuned audio..

Actually, it doesn't drop the key. It just sends the actual key higher for the exact moments you are speaking, while letting it drop back to normal when you are not speaking (just keyed). I have found no real benefit from using it. If you're at low power and turn it on, you get the same levels when speaking as you would at high power, including the higher deadkey. It just lets the key level fall off when you are not actually speaking. Might as well turn to high power.

Thanks DTB , & Thanks LORDS,
I just wanted to make sure I was reading the SWR warning correctly( BTW, I guess the metal garage door proved the point) If the SWR is flashing/blinking ....You got problems ! This is NOT where I normally set up antennas LOL

One last question re: the variable power: If I turn the TOPGUN off & turn the power to max -Is it OK to run the radio like that all the time ?? BTW , I do not run an amp .
If anyone has suggestions as how the best way is to set the power knob , I would appreciate it . I've never owned a radio w/ variable power.

Chainsawgang said:
One last question re: the variable power: If I turn the TOPGUN off & turn the power to max -Is it OK to run the radio like that all the time ?? BTW , I do not run an amp .
If anyone has suggestions as how the best way is to set the power knob , I would appreciate it . I've never owned a radio w/ variable power.

yep VP can stay on max..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.