• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S45HP Issue

JCH

Jun 13, 2011
LA
I screwed up, I was farting around with the talkback and echo, got feedback via the talkback and blew something that controls the speaker volume and/or the receive. The radio transmits fine and receive seems OK, but I get no noise in the speaker until the volume is 1/2 up, and it's a crackling static at that point, and I can only hear other stations with the volume maxed out. Same result with external speaker. RF gain fully clockwise, squelch wide open. Also I can no longer hear the beeps emitted when you push the buttons on the radio's face, nor can the roger beep be heard.

AMT still works, Echo still works, and as said the radio transmits and seems to receive.

REpair is probably over my head but I figured I'd see if you guys could help and hope for an easy part swap.

thanks,

jacob h>

Plug an external speaker in and see if that works, external speakers sound way way better anyway. You probably just damaged the internal speaker which is not that big of an issue.

:laugh:
Plug an external speaker in and see if that works, external speakers sound way way better anyway. You probably just damaged the internal speaker which is not that big of an issue.

Tried that and unfortunately get the same sound/outcome. I must've fried something just don't know what/where. The radio's speaker still sounds good with the talkback, and it sounds OK with the vol cranked wide open, but the vol is way lower than it should be.

edit - I reset the cpu, too.

I'm thinking maybe an issue with the "AMT BORD" per the schematic. :laugh:

Thanks,

jch

Last edited:
Udate - actually no tx audio but the radio's needles swing and I think it's putting out some sort of signal b/c it's turning on the touch light in the china cabinet. I'm taking it to someone tomorrow.
jch

Dead short in the talk back board.

Anyone have info on how to get another board? They told me they called a shop in CA and I assumed it was Chris Holland's outfit.. Whomever it wasthey didn't recognize the part no.

thanks.

jch

Mine just has a rf limited trb-x2. $25 on amazon with free shipping. Plug and play.

Actually I think that's the echo board.

If I remember right, the talkback is the UTB-2 Rev B in my radio.

Does anyone know if the UTB-1 at the following link will interchange without further needed mods?

Copper Electronics, Inc.

thanks,

jch

Edit: the UTB-1 board will work, confirmed with Sam Lewis. He said the original board was not their part? WTH.

thanks

Last edited:
I don't know why in the world I thought you were suspecting the echo board. Probably cause it was 3:30 am and I was brain dead. Either way my talkback just randomly stops working. Will you update me if the utb-1 is a plug and play? I'd like to change mine.

I don't know why in the world I thought you were suspecting the echo board. Probably cause it was 3:30 am and I was brain dead. Either way my talkback just randomly stops working. Will you update me if the utb-1 is a plug and play? I'd like to change mine.

No sweat - Sam said "follow the instructions" so I assume it is, but I'll update nonetheless.

jch

mdavis,

I've decided to live w/o the talkback, too expensive to replace for something I rarley use anyway.

later on.

How much did you find it for?

$19.99 at Copper plus insane shipping. The UPS shipping is insane($12) and I didn't bother to call and get a usps quote.

I didn't search for long honestly.

jch

Check out Bell's CB website - the have a good close up pic of the board.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.