• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Make a omni-directional antenna directional?

CB RADIO FREQ

Apr 1, 2013
Hello does any one have a way to make a normal CB antenna directional without physically altering the antenna? Any help or ideas would be great. I'm just trying to shoot a little skip and wanted to try a directional antenna instead of an
omni-directional antenna. Thanks.

im sorry could you explain what you mean by reflector element? i think i know what you mean but would just like to clarify. does the reflector have to be connected to anything or just a piece of metal very near the antenna? Thanks.

Most mobile set-ups are directional by nature. You will never be able to get beam like performance but try this. If your antenna is say mounted in the center of your trunk then your strongest transmit direction will be to the front of the car. Park up on a hill in an open area and point your car in the direction you want to talk. If your on the base then disregard this example.

You can also "phase" the antennas like you would see on a truck. If the antennas are placed about 9 feet for 11 meters, your effective radiation pattern would be in a front to back lobe with little coming off the sides. Most cars and trucks do not have enough room to get the antennas far enough apart to make the phasing effective but some type of rigging could be made if one desired. In my opinion if your mobile having the antenna in the center of the the roof makes the most sense as the little extra gain from phasing would not be worth the trouble.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.