• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Making a better 2 meter mobile antenna

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
2 cars, both 25w fm radios. One has a cheap tram 1/4 wave quirll antenna the other a cheap tram nmo 1/4 wave. Both mag mount. Both tuned pretty close to each other according to the nanovna

The do not preform the same. The quirl 1/4 does better than the straight stick. There shouldn’t be much difference. All things being similar.

Also have considered trying a 1/4 wave with a skirt instead of using the vehicle as the ground plane.

hot an bored. so i decided to temp mount an old radio shack sputnik antenna (1/4 wave with radials) on the car as close to the same height of the mag mount thats on there already and try a test hitting some outlying repeaters. the mag mount is centered in the roof. sputnik was on the side. mag mount did better. so i raised the sputnik 4ft higher than the mag mount. at Of course the sputnik did better at the higher mount. On that repeater i showed 2 s-units more. so on to the next idea i suppose.

Is your town in a valley with repeaters on higher hills?

Electrically shortening the antenna with a coil mid way up will raise the elevation pattern over a straight 1/4w antenna on the same ground plane.

Is your town in a valley with repeaters on higher hills?

Electrically shortening the antenna with a coil mid way up will raise the elevation pattern over a straight 1/4w antenna on the same ground plane.
We’re pretty flat. Elevated repeaters. The antenna has no coil it’s just the curly q open air. Like the old cell phone antennas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned