• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Marconi broadcasting from Houston to 4040 (rip) in SanFrancisco

sounding good marconi, you had all the conditions into cali that day with a +20 db.

glad you enjoyed that contact with scott, may he rest in peace.

Yes, we touched base a few days earlier when I had my
Starduster up high and the Gain Master on a switch box, and I was able to switch antennas with him as he made the video. However, the video failed to upload to YouTube, so just happened to check back a day or two later...and he was on the air.

My Gain Master was up there all by itself at about 60'+ and it was talking that day.

I managed to work 4040 early one morning on my way to work, while he was working a station out of europe(can't remember which country for sure) but I was in between him and that station. I could not hear europe but scott was in full stride that morning on his beam. which means scott was up trying to work dx around 4am his time, that is how much he loved the hobby

wish we could have heard that starduster and gainmaster switch between,,, that would have been a nice data point to go along with the rest of your data.

Reactions: Marconi
wish we could have heard that starduster and gainmaster switch between,,, that would have been a nice data point to go along with the rest of your data.

Gamegetter, I just noticed on Scott's video he had the date as a header. I checked my old notes to see what I was doing around that time...and I notice in the few days earlier I was working the following.

Scotts video shows the date of the recording was Jan 8, 2011. On Jan 2, 2011, I had my A99 up and working. On Jan 6, I had my I-10K up and working. On Jan 7, the day before the video I had my old Top One (AstroPlane) up and working.

I remember I caught up with Scott again to do the video above 2 to 3 days later. So on the video that failed I was either working my A99, which I'm inclined to think was the case...or I was working either the I-10K or the Top One.

Below are the three Signal Reports I made around that time...and according to the results...it wouldn't surprise me if anyone probably would have shown me similar results. In the video I think I only mentioned the Gain Master, and did not mention the other antenna that we attempted to compare earlier...the video that failed.

So, I can only guess what really happened.

I allways enjoyed 4040 videos ..sure miss his style of radio

I miss the old man, doing his thing too. He must have been ill for a while. He was too young to die.

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    291.8 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: gamegetter
Marconi -
Listening to that 'gate, made me long for the days 5 years ago when the skip was rolling into Colombia every day, and I managed to talk to Grandpa, Robb, Dxman, Mr Clean, Audioshockwave, 148 Alaska, and many other forum members. I only wish I had the spare time to get my Quad antenna back up, but since I "retired" it seems I work harder than I ever did before. The end is in sight on our farmhouse remodel, and when I get there the first thing I'm going to do is get back on the air. Looking forward to talking to you again, Grandpa. 73s.

- J.J.

Sure JJ, I remember all those good times, and we, at least me, I didn't think a thing special about it. You were sort like at local here in SE Texas, and I could hear guys all over the US calling your name at times...even when I could not hear you.

I do miss those days, both my local and DX friends...and for sure the ones you named and more.

greetings 399:
as i said before, i hope to hear that fine sounding station from SA soon, best of luck with your retirement but perhaps you should unretire!:)

I wondered why i had not heard you on the air in a while. Best of luck and good wishes.

Last edited:
Gamegetter, I just noticed on Scott's video he had the date as a header. I checked my old notes to see what I was doing around that time...and I notice in the few days earlier I was working the following.

Scotts video shows the date of the recording was Jan 8, 2011. On Jan 2, 2011, I had my A99 up and working. On Jan 6, I had my I-10K up and working. On Jan 7, the day before the video I had my old Top One (AstroPlane) up and working.

I remember I caught up with Scott again to do the video above 2 to 3 days later. So on the video that failed I was either working my A99, which I'm inclined to think was the case...or I was working either the I-10K or the Top One.

Below are the three Signal Reports I made around that time...and according to the results...it wouldn't surprise me if anyone probably would have shown me similar results. In the video I think I only mentioned the Gain Master, and did not mention the other antenna that we attempted to compare earlier...the video that failed.

So, I can only guess what really happened.

I miss the old man, doing his thing too. He must have been ill for a while. He was too young to die.

Marconi, your signal report makes me want to repair my super maggie and get it back up in the air, but as I get older I hate to think about messing with the radials even when I have my son to help me at times with getting an antenna up in the air. I'll likely just stick to running the gainmaster, i like the ease of raising and lowering it every year to check on it's condition and re coat it with varnish or other protectant.

It is coincidental you mention the GM is noisier if i interpret your siganl report correctly, as i mentioned the other day, i thought the super maggie was a bit quieter than the GM.

If you remember we discussed that top one(astro plane) design before and that is what got me interested in this because i always felt the astro plane worked as well if not better than other 1/2 wave or 5/8 antennas. I'll catch some heat for that but, it's just my opinion.

Di you or anyone else ever model the astro plane?

It is coincidental you mention the GM is noisier if i interpret your siganl report correctly, as i mentioned the other day, i thought the super maggie was a bit quieter than the GM.
GG, that time as just at that particular time, my GM was basically one of my quietest vertical antennas.
If you remember we discussed that top one(astro plane) design before and that is what got me interested in this because i always felt the astro plane worked as well if not better than other 1/2 wave or 5/8 antennas. I'll catch some heat for that but, it's just my opinion.
I also had good contacts working my AstroPlane, an old Coppers Electronics Top One. I often did try and get the top as high as some others I happened to have up at times.
The Top One was also very quiet, but the Sirio New Top One was typically even quieter most of the time. I just like looking up at that little monster high in the sky.
Di you or anyone else ever model the astro plane?
I'll look for a model already posted and give you a link. Then I'll look for a newer model. I just did an A/P, Imax and Sirio Vector...for a recent WWDX thread where DB described his thoughts on these 3 antennas.

Thanks, and 73's

Eddie - Marconi - Grandpa on the air.

Last edited:
GG here is a link to the model of the Old Top One I use to work.

C:/Users/Eddie%20Romans/Downloads/OTO%20knockoff%20model%20of%20the%20AstroPlane.%20(1)%20(4).pdf​

Last edited:
Model overlays of the patterns, gain, and take-off angles for the:
Vector 4K with gamma match
Imax
Vector 4K with simulated matching
Astro Plane
A99

If you would like the other antenna details, just let me know.

NOTE-
The (*) beside an antenna name means the data shown below for that antenna in the list.

Marconi 39zero - Grampa TC390 on the radio.

73's all

Attachments

• Overlaya of Eznec various models.pdf
    446.9 KB · Views: 4

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.