• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

marconi coily/i10k

If there is a winner..
I would have to say the I-10K

But then that is what i use and so far i have yet to find a better performing or better lasting antenna out there (vertical groundplane)

cool pics marconi which one of those antennas perform better.

1342, I show several antennas in my album that I had up and comparing, but I've never had a Mr. Coily. Among others I compared, my I-10K vs. Wolf .64 is one of the images included. A signal report I made back in 2006 is included among the pictures.

IMO, comparing two antennas at a time may not be the best way to compare maybe, and that is because a good arguement can be made that two different antennas on two different setups lacks reliability for either antenna. However, I've just been trying to comparing one antenna at a time, taking one down and putting up another as quickly as possible---and I doubt that procedure too. There are just too many variables and time produces issues that make it hard to compare. Plus, I don't believe there are very many CB'rs that will go to the trouble of comparing two antennas at a time. If you don't do two antennas, side by side, how can you tell things like current noise level, audio quality differences if they occur. Most importantly how do you tell the true relationship of signals noted, and what affects time and indivuals can and will have on transmitted signals.

I just have one opinion for doing it one at a time. That is: using the same system is no-way-no.

Time delays will not permit a good comparison at my location for sure, and I question if it's good anywhere else too. The only way, maybe, would be to organize the effort with several guys and try to keep their interest in what you're doing for the time it takes.

For me, the issue is consideration for how quickly conditions change, it's like telling me your no. 1 antenna showed an S7 signal last year, and antenna 2 is S9 this year. You may be stating the thruth, but how is that a comparison?

It sounds just like an opinion to me. :thumbdown:

Click here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/...picture47-i-10k-vs-wolf-64-signal-report.html

oh sorry about that i meant the wolf .64.which one came out on top i am hoping the wolf.

1342, I show several antennas in my album that I had up and comparing, but I've never had a Mr. Coily. Among others I compared, my I-10K vs. Wolf .64 is one of the images included. A signal report I made back in 2006 is included among the pictures.

IMO, comparing two antennas at a time may not be the best way to compare maybe, and that is because a good arguement can be made that two different antennas on two different setups lacks reliability for either antenna. However, I've just been trying to comparing one antenna at a time, taking one down and putting up another as quickly as possible---and I doubt that procedure too. There are just too many variables and time produces issues that make it hard to compare. Plus, I don't believe there are very many CB'rs that will go to the trouble of comparing two antennas at a time. If you don't do two antennas, side by side, how can you tell things like current noise level, audio quality differences if they occur. Most importantly how do you tell the true relationship of signals noted, and what affects time and indivuals can and will have on transmitted signals.

I just have one opinion for doing it one at a time. That is: using the same system is no-way-no.

Time delays will not permit a good comparison at my location for sure, and I question if it's good anywhere else too. The only way, maybe, would be to organize the effort with several guys and try to keep their interest in what you're doing for the time it takes.

For me, the issue is consideration for how quickly conditions change, it's like telling me your no. 1 antenna showed an S7 signal last year, and antenna 2 is S9 this year. You may be stating the thruth, but how is that a comparison?

It sounds just like an opinion to me. :thumbdown:

Click here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/members/...picture47-i-10k-vs-wolf-64-signal-report.html
well it looks like it was pretty even between the two which is good since the price on the i10k is in my opinion too much.i personally would go with the wolf if i was in the market for a new antenna.

Marconi,
I think you are getting to the point where you might see why a valid, and practical, antenna comparison is very seldom done on the air, not on an antenna range, and not making those comparisons 'through' reference to some arbitrary 'standard'. You think? Maybe? I mean, how else do you get rid of all those @#$ variables?
- 'Doc

A revelation for 'Doc.

I think you are getting to the point where you might see why a valid, and practical, antenna comparison is very seldom done on the air, not on an antenna range, and not making those comparisons 'through' reference to some arbitrary 'standard'. You think? Maybe? I mean, how else do you get rid of all those @#$ variables?
- 'Doc

I'm not real sure I understand all of your comment, but I get the gist of it. I don't use arbitrary standards 'Doc, I make up my own standards as I go and I change 'em as necessary. Ain't that where standards come from, somebodies experience that proves-out---over and over as in duplicatable, and repeatable, and without faltering as to results.

Yeah 'Doc, you will be chasing your tail a lot trying to chase down all of the variables, but I can't afford a test range and I'm not even sure there is one nearby, even in Houston. I know you would say you are just too lazy to do such foolishness, but I really don't believe that is really true of you even. You just do it to try and be cute. But, if I saw you, I would probably swear that I was wrong for once in my life.

Your way is not my way, but I will agree you though, it is your way---if it makes you feel better.

I'm not sure about you, but I guess it is possibly a latent thought of some radio guys to one day see, hear, sense, or realize that something you did really could make a difference that was outstanding, noticalble, measurable, and repeatable. But if you were like me---such things occur few and far between. I'm talking about CB gear here 'Doc, and not ham stuff like you read about and look at the pictures.

Well the only thing today that I can talk about is regarding the AstroPlane antenna. Not the new one as yet, but the original or its knockoffs that for some years has been available for CB users.

The story is, I was listening to some local guys talking on my radio and piddling with other things. I happen to have two antennas up, a A99 and a AstroPlane that I had been comparing, and trying to figure out what I could to understand the details of a tuning routine for the A99. I had my antenna switch on the A99. At some point I noticed my bud Phillip was talking to a new radio soul that I could not even hear to start with. For me, I did not know this new guy. Suddenly I realized that Phillip's signal and audio all but disappeared down to zero and I could hardly hear him. He is about 43 miles from me and I knew he had a Moonraker beam, so I figured that he had turned his antenna to continue talking to this new guy. I put on my head phones to try and hear better. I could barely make out Phillips voice as he talked and could copy his words. The other guy was still nothing. I over heard Phillip say he was on the flat side, and that is when I remembered an experience just like this one with another local bud on the flat side with a Astroplane and a A99 up in his yard. At the time I had a flat side beam and a Starduster up in my yard. We were checking antenna responses and noticed that his AstroPlane responded to my beam with as much as 4 to 5 s units better signal than his A99. Basically that was the first experience of this story.

About then I switched to my AstroPlane antenna and boom I could hear clearly both Phillip and this other guy on their horizontal beams. They were both loud with no problems in full copy and no zero signal any more. I was seeing signals like s3 to s5 signals on them both with the AP. but when I switched back to my A99, bamb they both virtually disappeared with no signals at all.

Like I said, I had done this thing before and I confirmed it again. The point here is: that this realization would likely never have been noticed excepting that I had two antenna up on a switch box and comparing responses at the same time.

I guess there is another point that this thing with the AP can be duplicated by others I would guess, so I there is always the chance that others might see a daylight to dark difference with something that they had experienced after all and maybe this story might mean something to a guy that has a AstroPlane antenna up at his place.

'Doc, this story is probably is not worth the time of day to you, but for some it might be interesting hear or read.

Thanks for your comments and again you are right, but not all efforts that are difficult are in vain.

Marconi 39zero

I'm back on the air and sometimes known as Ole' Grandpa from Corpus Christi, Texas live and in color.

I'm not real sure I understand all of your comment, but I get the gist of it. I don't use arbitrary standards 'Doc, I make up my own standards as I go and I change 'em as necessary. Ain't that where standards come from, somebodies experience that proves-out---over and over as in duplicatable, and repeatable, and without faltering as to results.

Yeah 'Doc, you will be chasing your tail a lot trying to chase down all of the variables, but I can't afford a test range and I'm not even sure there is one nearby, even in Houston. I know you would say you are just too lazy to do such foolishness, but I really don't believe that is really true of you even. You just do it to try and be cute. But, if I saw you, I would probably swear that I was wrong for once in my life.

Your way is not my way, but I will agree you though, it is your way---if it makes you feel better.

I'm not sure about you, but I guess it is possibly a latent thought of some radio guys to one day see, hear, sense, or realize that something you did really could make a difference that was outstanding, noticalble, measurable, and repeatable. But if you were like me---such things occur few and far between. I'm talking about CB gear here 'Doc, and not ham stuff like you read about and look at the pictures.

Well the only thing today that I can talk about is regarding the AstroPlane antenna. Not the new one as yet, but the original or its knockoffs that for some years has been available for CB users.

The story is, I was listening to some local guys talking on my radio and piddling with other things. I happen to have two antennas up, a A99 and a AstroPlane that I had been comparing, and trying to figure out what I could to understand the details of a tuning routine for the A99. I had my antenna switch on the A99. At some point I noticed my bud Phillip was talking to a new radio soul that I could not even hear to start with. For me, I did not know this new guy. Suddenly I realized that Phillip's signal and audio all but disappeared down to zero and I could hardly hear him. He is about 43 miles from me and I knew he had a Moonraker beam, so I figured that he had turned his antenna to continue talking to this new guy. I put on my head phones to try and hear better. I could barely make out Phillips voice as he talked and could copy his words. The other guy was still nothing. I over heard Phillip say he was on the flat side, and that is when I remembered an experience just like this one with another local bud on the flat side with a Astroplane and a A99 up in his yard. At the time I had a flat side beam and a Starduster up in my yard. We were checking antenna responses and noticed that his AstroPlane responded to my beam with as much as 4 to 5 s units better signal than his A99. Basically that was the first experience of this story.

About then I switched to my AstroPlane antenna and boom I could hear clearly both Phillip and this other guy on their horizontal beams. They were both loud with no problems in full copy and no zero signal any more. I was seeing signals like s3 to s5 signals on them both with the AP. but when I switched back to my A99, bamb they both virtually disappeared with no signals at all.

Like I said, I had done this thing before and I confirmed it again. The point here is: that this realization would likely never have been noticed excepting that I had two antenna up on a switch box and comparing responses at the same time.

I guess there is another point that this thing with the AP can be duplicated by others I would guess, so I there is always the chance that others might see a daylight to dark difference with something that they had experienced after all and maybe this story might mean something to a guy that has a AstroPlane antenna up at his place.

'Doc, this story is probably is not worth the time of day to you, but for some it might be interesting hear or read.

Thanks for your comments and again you are right, but not all efforts that are difficult are in vain.

Marconi 39zero

I'm back on the air and sometimes known as Ole' Grandpa from Corpus Christi, Texas live and in color.
thanks for sharing all this it was very interesting.back in the late 80s i owned a avanti 101 astroplane omni and a starduster i did not use the starduster often i thought the world of that avanti, i talked around the world with a bearfoot roadtalker mobile/base.until i got an imax i thought about the av-101 but i bought an imax.i assembled the imax a took down an a99 with gpk kit in about 10 minutes a noticed an instant 2db rx and tx wow if only i could compare that with the old avanti who knows what would happen.anyway no more a99s or stardusters for me just this goofy maco 5/8 erector set antenna lol.

marconi i was very impressed with astroplane vs. i10k results you posted almost 2 years ago comparing several other antennas as well .

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/27360-question-about-antennas-3.html#post96267

and im still very impressed .
now that this thread has has reminded me of your results its making me rethink my wanting a maco 5/8 when im done playing with my wire contraption , LOL . and now the copies wont be available to modify since sirio has changed their astroplane/top-one design . :(

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/34226-sirio-changed-top-one-no-longer-astroplane-clone.html

thanks for sharing all this it was very interesting.back in the late 80s i owned a avanti 101 astroplane omni and a starduster i did not use the starduster often i thought the world of that avanti, i talked around the world with a bearfoot roadtalker mobile/base.until i got an imax i thought about the av-101 but i bought an imax.i assembled the imax a took down an a99 with gpk kit in about 10 minutes a noticed an instant 2db rx and tx wow if only i could compare that with the old avanti who knows what would happen.anyway no more a99s or stardusters for me just this goofy maco 5/8 erector set antenna lol.

Thanks 1342. For a long time I have claimed that my comparing of all the CB vertical antennas I have, tells me that if I get the tip heights close to the same, I will likely see very little difference between all these antennas. I don't compare DX or local TX signals, because they are so varied, like 'Doc says, that it makes them worthless to make a judgment. I will listen to DX and make a consideration about an antenna and how it responds to DX that I here, but I will only do that in a very general sort of way. If I just went by the words about antennas while I on the air, I would have to claim that the A99 is the best antenna ever made. The A99 is by far the most popular vertical CB antenna you will likely hear with skip rolling and next might be its big brother the Imax.

I compare only local signals out as far as I can reach and hear, but the main thing I look for is consistent activity on the radio by the guys I log onto my signal report and then I try to get an idea of how my antenna receives their signals, all the while full well realizing that the different angles made between us and the stuff on the Earth’s surface that interferes, often makes all the difference if there are any differences, just like ‘Doc talks about. Sometimes I just have to wait, wait for good type conditions to roll in, or for conditions to get quiet, or for somebody to return to his radio. For the most part my bunch is always on the air, here in the Houston area, from about 5:00 am until the noise gets high or the DX starts stretching the band out. Over time I have come to believe at my location all these antennas will perform about the same and any difference that I have ever seen will probably never cause you to make or loose a contact. Aren’t we luck that we can make so many errors in radio and still communicate?

So, with all that said I sometimes wait, but at nearly 73 years I don’t have much to do so I keep busy with exactly what I like to do. I still fish all year round, I radio when conditions permit, I still do rifle target practice with my own ammo, and I like to chase pretty girls and drive fast good looking cars.

1342, I have never actually owned a V58, and the ones that I have worked were at friend’s locations. But IMO, you will not go far wrong with that one unless you have problems getting it tuned or to keep it all together in bad weather. My favorite is my Marconi and my original Starduster, next it the Avanti Sigma IV, the AstroPlane and A99 insulated at the mast with a horizontal GPK. I like my I-10K, and my Wolf .64 that is no where near the quality or construction of Jay’s product, but it works almost as well, and I think I have experienced a similar horizontal response with it like I talked bout here with the AstroPlane. Among others, I will be testing it again soon and hope to experience that same response once again with the Wolf.

Hang loose,

Marconi

Sometimes called:
Ole Grandpa, from Corpus Christi, Texas,
on-the-air, broadcasting live and in color.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.