• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Materials for the Moxon

Talked to Homer yesterday afternoon from here on the central West Coast of California to NW Arkansas .

We had to find a free channel since 38LSB was a zoo - as usual. His signal was strong enough, as were the skip conditions at that time. Seemed to be working quite well from my end. Asked him if it had a quiet receive, and he said that it did and that the side and rear rejection was xlnt. We talked for a few minutes more and then said our 73's. I was using the Sirio SY27-4 Yagi beam at my station. Homer was using a Galaxy 88 export radio, and so was I.

Couldn't ask much more from a horizontal beam, other than having more gain. But for what it is and how he had built it, it had performed very well - IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Here is what MoxGen says I should have done with the 3/4" tube to be resonant on 27.385

27385Moxon_zps5fda2989.jpg

There is an attached zip file with the EzNec file zipped in it. It was generated by MoxGen as a free space model with zero wire loss.

Attachments

• 75Mox.zip
    278 bytes · Views: 9
I used a tuned e1/2ƛ coax jumper for these measurements. I could not reach the antenna feedpoint directly from where it is mounted. It was 24' over the earth.

Marconi, here is the 259b readings for the antenna as I built it:

0426_zpsc6e84bf0.jpg

0424_zps085bca0b.jpg

Then I changed them to the ones in the lowest graphic:

0429_zps701b46a9.jpg

0427_zps1f4048fe.jpg

moxon2nd_zps8a172eec.jpg

Looks pretty close to what my Eznec model predicted for your original model's resonance. My readings are at the feed point, plus I made my model's tubing all .625" inches diameter.

Thanks for the report.

Some homebrew construction details for this Moxon.

Any of the materials can be substituted with higher end more expensive alternatives, however, bear in mind my consistent practice of using common, inexpensive materials and processes to put a effective antenna together. This I do to show folks what is possible with an active imagination, a will to overcome materials obstacles, and a limited pocketbook.

Mast to Boom Plate
0416_zps9e2daf2a.jpg

Side Element Insulators
0423_zps3b208999.jpg

Element Corner COnnection
0422_zpsa6c73206.jpg

Direct Coax to Antenna Feedpoint
0418_zps40bd61a8.jpg

Underside of Element Mounting Plate
0415_zps6b0f9487.jpg

Top of Element mounting Plate
0414_zps908fef4b.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the pics! Been wanting to put up a small beam because of my limited space. So you did not need a matching system? Just direct feed the coax? What did you use for side element insulators? ( the yellow material?) Do you like it as well as your 2 element quad? Think I read some where in your previous post about the that this antenna will work good at 19 feet? Sorry for all the qiestions. Just don't want to waste time putting someting like this up. Thanks again for sharing!

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! Been wanting to put up a small beam because of my limited space.
It is roughly 13' x 5' - small for 11 meters
So you did not need a matching system? Just direct feed the coax?
That's correct.
What did you use for side element insulators? ( the yellow material?)
The yellow material is fiberglass tubes, a shovel handle, but I have also used PVC tube.
Do you like it as well as your 2 element quad?
This question begs different considerations for each. Let's just say this one has the most advantages due to size, weight, ease of use, less maintenance, potential portability, and superior back door rejection. The 2el quad makes me feel happier.;)
Think I read some where in you previous post about the that this antenna will work good at 19 feet?
It has for me, but there can be extenuating conditions for such a low install - what is near by, what does it need to clear, soil type, on a hill or in flat country, etc - but that may mean less than how well it works at that height compared to other antenna types you've mounted at your place at that height. I have found it does well there, but as with any other install, higher is generally better.
Sorry for all the qiestions. Just don't want to waste time putting someting like this up. Thanks again for sharing!
You won't waste your time with one of these. They are a smart choice.

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my qiestions. You are very helpful. Like. I said. I have limited space . Small tract house on a small lot. Was able to get a Sigma 4 type antenna up 30' in the back. Now I want a small beam. A big obstacle for me is. My concrete tile roof with pvc vent pipes. Hope to figure out the installation soon. I live on a high plane that is a great location for DXing. Thanks again! 73s. 490 So CA.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users