• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Medium-sized amp suggestions

Back to my original question. Will or can a stock Cobra 29 LX drive a 4 pill amp? In particular a Xforce TNT 600 HD? Just in case my Stryker 955 won't be able to. I would just make the 955 into a barefoot base radio, and put the 29 back in my truck.

Thanks, 73

^^^^ Good to know. Thanks. I hope Xforce will get it sorted out. Stryker is also helping me out. It's nice to see the CB community helping each other. It's also nice that both companies are helping me to resolve the problem.

If anyone would say to me that CB is dying off, they would be wrong in my book.

A Cobra 29 will not need "turned down" to run a straight 4-pill amp...even well tuned, a Cobra 29 couldn't over-drive a 4-pill. That's why they are a better choice for most people...they are truly set and forget.

I ran a Grant XL, PC76, and a DX959 into a 4x1446 box I had at one point; none of them came close to over-driving that amp.

A Cobra 29 will not need "turned down" to run a straight 4-pill amp...even well tuned, a Cobra 29 couldn't over-drive a 4-pill. That's why they are a better choice for most people...they are truly set and forget.

I ran a Grant XL, PC76, and a DX959 into a 4x1446 box I had at one point; none of them came close to over-driving that amp.

That's what I was going to say. Heck a local ran an Omegaforce HP with a TnT 600 and was smoken. A TnT will laugh at a straight Cobra 29.

Reactions: 1 person
When I was running my PC76 (which is pretty close to your Cobra 29), I want to remember I was doing around 100 watt dead key and right around 400 watts of swing. While that doesn't sound all that much, its more than enough to get the job done and the amp will last practically forever.

^^^^Is there? I wouldn't know. The radio is under warranty for 3 years and it's sealed. No way will I void that. It can also be adjusted with a PC. I don't want to set it higher. What good would that do, besides making things harder on the equipment? The swr alarm is set just fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.