• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Messenger 2KW amplifier in action *VIDEO*

Mainly for stability, that many transistors in a single box, with a driver stage can do strange things.

Also if I remember correctly, he wanted to be able to drive it harder as well I think.

my m4v was idling at over 1 amp per transistor and getting hot with just the bias activated,
removing one of the dropping resistors gave me 100ma per transistor and much cooler running,
even though the bias dips below class ab at high drive it still sounds good on ssb,
neither situation is ideal but id take 100ma per transistor over 1amp+ anyday

Reactions: Crusher
It was in fact changed. They were idling really high, and it was brought down quite a bit. 5 years ago I cannot remember the figures for this particular amplifier, but I remember the idling current being ridiculous, and way too high.

I have Messenger 2Kw serial Number 1. I also have the 2 boards that where pulled OUT of mine (with 16XMRF454s) and replaced with the 2879s. I ALSO have a black Messenger 2Kw (the original Messenger was GOLD anodized).

Justin is RIGHT. The bias scheme in them, the early M4Vs, and basically EVERY Messenger amplifier was skewed, skrewed and caused them to BLEW!

BOTH the M2Kws I have will do 2400 PEP EASILY.

Justin: They ALSO had 1.4 volts STOCK at 13.8 on the base of each transistor. I didn't actually look at the bias current, but did rework my bias supplies (yes, I use a single supply for each board)..... I use a regulator driving an active circuit to each side... TO-3 devices on the heat sink (I use the 'end caps', rather than the big sinks so as not to have as much thermal drift.

Going to this route enables (after capacitor replacement) to up the collector volts to 16-17.... Enabling 3Kw + output WITH fully regulated bias.

If you do NOT want to go to the extent on the bias that I and others have, find the bias resistors (they are BIG wirewounds on EACH board). Pull one side. Go get another, and put it in series. They only need ABOUT .7 to .75 volts on the base. ONE of the reason Messengers kicked so much ass back in the day, so to speak, was this high bias current.... It made a REALLY clean amplifier in comparison to Pal / Palomar / Texas Star / etc.

I do NOT have the internal drivers hooked up. Running a driver in the same cabinet, ESPECIALLY with the power gain of this brick, is just asking for trouble.

I've ALSO run my M2Kws with grounded base. Yes, they produce slightly more power, but at the expense of cleanliness.

Cool job on the vids.

--Toll_Free

Cottonmouth has one for sale in mint cond.

2. FS: MESSENGER 2K MOBILE AMPLIFIER (MINT), This is a one of a kind and I never thought I would sell this Amplifier as there were only a few made and no longer being made.
This Amplifier is Class AB-1 16 pill all 2879's with fan kit and full remote. This Amplifier is in like new condition, no scratches or dings, no one has been inside this amp for any reason and still looks like it did the day I recieved it new. ($1200.00).

Pretty damn sweet and clean
Hello if this is still available for sale please let me know as I am interested, thank you very much

Last edited:
If you check kevin IB/379 Stringbean has not logged into the forum since November of 2013. Most of the other people in this 5+ year old thread are banned or MIA. Try looking up this Cottonmouth member and send him a private message.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.