• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

messenger

I would rather have a functional rough looking Messenger than a brand new Texas Star any day of the week.

I'll agree on this one for sure! I can't count the number of Texas Stars suffering from RF getting into the bias circuit once those 10 microhenry chokes start acting up. That's what happens when you use the RF output contact on the relay to switch the DC bias on too!

I've never even heard of a Messenger going into self oscillation. The bias circuit in these amps are given their own contact on the relay to switch the bias on and off. The Messenger also has tuned circuits on the input and output that reduce harmonic content.

Reactions: 1 person
Sadly enough this is correct. However I still have that re-design project I am still trying to get to. I bet that most of those problems will vanish after the rework of the bias and feedback circuits.

Now if I could just find the time....

Sadly enough this is correct. However I still have that re-design project I am still trying to get to. I bet that most of those problems will vanish after the rework of the bias and feedback circuits.

Now if I could just find the time....

I must admit, I am curious to see how this pans out. When you have the time, please keep us posted.

Ray used to own and build Messenger, he had health problems and sold his interest to Billy.
Last year Billy passed and what inventory there was got sold off on E-Bay as uncompleted units.....basically the Amps with no Transistors installed.
I have talked with his Family and there is no interest in continuing with the business.
I am wondering how long it will be before we see cheap knockoff boxes with the messenger name on them, that has been the norm with Palomar, Boomer, Grey and other old amp builders.
They were good amps.

Jeff

I had talked to Billy about 2 weeks before his passing and he told me he was trying to get a supplier from China to send him some trans for a trial to see how they worked in the amps. he wanted them to send him at least 10 for free but they never did from the way he was talking. he lived here in Okla for awhile and was trying to get ahold of a tech that works at a truck stop by the name of Steve on about I-40 and council road here. I gave him his phone number and never did hear back from him., he was trying to get a backer to help with the cost to buy parts. he hit me up for a loan or as he said a percentage to help him get off the ground floor. he was a smooth talker on the phone. glad I did not get involved with him on this venture he had.

Reactions: 1 person
messenger amp are no longer being made.ray passed away monday november 5 2013.he suffered 2 strokes then doctors discovered he had pancreatic cancer..that;s wha he died from.

hello, i have a messenger m800 for sale.1 driving 8 mrf 454ab-1 very clean sounding amp.comes with a full remote.amp is brand new in the box.if ur interested let me know

Ray used to own and build Messenger, he had health problems and sold his interest to Billy.
Last year Billy passed and what inventory there was got sold off on E-Bay as uncompleted units.....basically the Amps with no Transistors installed.
I have talked with his Family and there is no interest in continuing with the business.
I am wondering how long it will be before we see cheap knockoff boxes with the messenger name on them, that has been the norm with Palomar, Boomer, Grey and other old amp builders.
They were good amps.

Jeff

They were knocked off ago, 2 transistor, same design as the Shooting Star 225 etc... but wearing a messenger badge ... I'm thinking Verne was behind that but the years are longer than my memory.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.