• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mfj 259b x= /R=

hotrod

Feb 16, 2007
n.w pennsylvania
with the nice weather ive been playing around with mobile antennas
im still kinda new to the anylizer idea. but i tested 2 antennas with
very different results yet both work good. heres results
sirio z180 R=86 x= 3 -4
wilson 5k - R=52 x= 26
what has me stumped is the radio jack is 50 ohms the coax is 50 ohms
so when i tune the antenna i should try to get as close to 50 ohms as possible ?right
or am i missing something.in the manual mfj claims the x is the imaginary part of all this
hmm????? both antennas were on wilson mag mount same location ,same vehicle,coax,ect

Ideally you want R=50 X=0 for a perfectly tuned antenna. The R represents the radiation resistance of the antenna system while the X is any reactance in the system caused by an amount of capacitance or inductance present. The X value is called reactance and in layman's terms determines how well the antenna will actually accept power from the transmitter.The less reactance the better. When X=0 the antenna is considered resonant at that frequency. Far too many people think that resonance means 50 ohms exactly when in fact some antennas are resonant with other values of R especially some wire antennas on some of the ham bands. In your case of the mobile antennas you want to tune for as close to R=50 X=0 as you can get. Don't worry if the R is a few ohms off as long as you can get the X value as close to zero as you can get it.

Reactions: 2 people
well that was my understanding of it . but if you look at the wilson 5k
the x= 20 something sounds kinda high moving whip up lowers it a bit but
only 3-4 numbers lower before i run outta whip
on the sirio z180 the x is close to zero but the ohms is off the charts at 80 something
is this typical for the ohms to be off like this.

I used to have r50 x0 but now I can only see r58 X0, so I guess I am good to go but I do wonder about the ohms increase. I did change coax and have tried several others to no avail. Same brand and also another made up from a different vendor. I use the ring terminal to attach to my predator 10K mobile mount using a tri mag.

These readings are on my intended channel.

well that was my understanding of it . but if you look at the wilson 5k
the x= 20 something sounds kinda high moving whip up lowers it a bit but
only 3-4 numbers lower before i run outta whip
on the sirio z180 the x is close to zero but the ohms is off the charts at 80 something
is this typical for the ohms to be off like this.

I guess I would be interested in knowing how those number relate as well...what happens when they are that far apart?

well that was my understanding of it . but if you look at the wilson 5k the x= 20 something sounds kinda high moving whip up lowers it a bit but only 3-4 numbers lower before i run outta whip
on the sirio z180 the x is close to zero but the ohms is off the charts at 80 something is this typical for the ohms to be off like this.

I know you used to be able to get longer whips from Wilson, I would assume you still can but am not sure, that would help lower X a little more. If that whip has ever been cut that will also not help your current situation. Unfortunately I don't know of any mobile antennas that lets you tune for R and X separately, so you typically get to choose tuning one or the other. Of the two, X is the one to tune for. R isn't as picky as X. As long R is between 25 and 100 (while X = 0) you will be ok.

The 80 ohms you were referring with the Sirio, that is off of which chart? Was that the R reading or something else? As far as impedance is concerned that MFJ can measure up to 600 or 650 ohms...

The DB

I know you used to be able to get longer whips from Wilson, I would assume you still can but am not sure, that would help lower X a little more. If that whip has ever been cut that will also not help your current situation. Unfortunately I don't know of any mobile antennas that lets you tune for R and X separately, so you typically get to choose tuning one or the other. Of the two, X is the one to tune for. R isn't as picky as X. As long R is between 25 and 100 (while X = 0) you will be ok.

The 80 ohms you were referring with the Sirio, that is off of which chart? Was that the R reading or something else? As far as impedance is concerned that MFJ can measure up to 600 or 650 ohms...

The DB
well after going thru my antenna stuff i did find a 66 inch whip ,the other was a uncut 62 inch whip. also tried a 1k coil which tuned better ...hmmm? reading now are R=80 X=0-2
which strangely is very close to the z-180.i still had to pull the 66 inch whip about 1/4 inch -1/2 inch up. when i said the ohms [R] was off the chart i meant itread higher than
what i thought/expected.now to add more to this as i added lenth my swr slightly increased
from a 1.6 to a 1.7 -1.8.has me rethinking about tuning for lowest swr

now to add more to this as i added lenth my swr slightly increased
from a 1.6 to a 1.7 -1.8.has me rethinking about tuning for lowest swr

Re-think your re-thinking.

The important number is the SWR. The lower the better. It doesn't matter whether the R is Higher or the X is Higher. It's the combination that is important.

Bill

Reactions: 1 person
where's the popcorn... dang have'ta go to the store for more... Wait! I got 'Rice-Chex', that'll do...
Okay, carry on...
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Since you are using the MFJ meter . . . OK I'll bite . . . Where is the SWR at the best lowest point/best impedance? What is the X= at that proper SWR point?

Perhaps your antenna is either too short or too long still . . .

the lowest swr ive seen was a 1.5 -1.6 for my freq. range R=60 ? X= 20 something
as i raised/ the whip from the bottom position the X lowered into single digits
which is what i understood to be desired for a mobile install.but i started watching
the others and the R went up to =80 swr went up 1.7-1.8 [not very much actually]
but the X went down considerbly . for kicks i checked my z180 and its very close to same

the lowest swr ive seen was a 1.5 -1.6 for my freq. range R=60 ? X= 20 something
as i raised/ the whip from the bottom position the X lowered into single digits
which is what i understood to be desired for a mobile install.but i started watching
the others and the R went up to =80 swr went up 1.7-1.8 [not very much actually]
but the X went down considerbly . for kicks i checked my z180 and its very close to same

Sooooo . . . doesn't seem to be so much of antenna problem as it does an installation problem if both antennas are getting the same readings . . . I would check the coax, PL-259, solder joints at both ends, and even the antenna mounting location/choice . . . gotta be something like that . . .

Sooooo . . . doesn't seem to be so much of antenna problem as it does an installation problem if both antennas are getting the same readings . . . I would check the coax, PL-259, solder joints at both ends, and even the antenna mounting location/choice . . . gotta be something like that . . .
both antennas read the same [or close] AFTER i made adjustments and added the
66inch whip. the standard wilson 62 inch whip the reading were much different
between the two.

The important number is the SWR. The lower the better. It doesn't matter whether the R is Higher or the X is Higher. It's the combination that is important.

Bill

To a point. Any value of X reduces the ability of an antenna to accept power from the transmitter. When X equals zero the antenna is resonant regardless of the R value. There are cases where an SWR of greater than one to one is actually more efficient. I am thinking aboit a 1/4 wave over a perfect (or close to it) ground plane. It also depends at what point that SWR is measured if using tuned feeders.

To a point. Any value of X reduces the ability of an antenna to accept power from the transmitter. When X equals zero the antenna is resonant regardless of the R value. There are cases where an SWR of greater than one to one is actually more efficient. I am thinking aboit a 1/4 wave over a perfect (or close to it) ground plane. It also depends at what point that SWR is measured if using tuned feeders.

I can confirm this. Before I got my first analyzer I used a field strength meter to tune antennas. The peak field strength was rarely at the 1:1 SWR mark. In mobile setups I don't think I ever remember seeing it peak at 1:1 SWR, it was always somewhere else. I would always tune until it peaked and then began to drop off, then set it back to the peak. Later when I bought my first analyzer I noticed that the field strength peaked near as makes no difference to the X=0 reading.

Yes, SWR can make a difference, no argument there. However, once you get past a certain point gains to your signal from making it lower drop out significantly. If I get x=0 and R between 25 and 100 (2:1 SWR) I'm generally happy. If R is outside of that range on a mobile antenna I look for a potential antenna problem, be it positioning or an issue with the coax or antenna itself...

The DB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.