• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ -949C

I brought up the TS-130S owner's manual on my laptop last night, after reading the section on controls and their functions I discovered that the "CAR" only works on CW, not SSB....

adjust ssb output via the MIC GAIN pot and watch the Ic meter defection.

To get on 80, you may want to consider loading up the 40 meter antenna as a "random line", turning everything, including the transmission line, into an antenna. This has worked pretty well for me with my G5RV, which in the configuration it's in works best as a random line on 80. You should also run a counterpoise off of the ground lug on the tuner for an RF ground.

I tuned it up on 80, but I didn't do any talking there..."yet"....

My plan is to string up a random wire for that band, the 949 has the lugs for a random wire, and I've been doing some research on the subject. This way I'll have my 40m dipole for 40 meters, my 20m dipole for 20 meters, the wire for 80 meters, and I'll see how well it does on 30m, 17m, 15m, 12m, and 10m....

Once I get my key I can lower the output power on the CW setting, key down and adjust accordingly, but til then I have to make my adjustments at full power on SSB.

Why do you need to wait for a key? Get the proper plug for your rig and wire a switch into it. Use that as a "key", OR just jumper the plug so it simulates "key down" whenever it's plugged in. Then you have to unplug it and replug it, but either way is cheap and you don't have to wait.

Why do you need to wait for a key? Get the proper plug for your rig and wire a switch into it. Use that as a "key", OR just jumper the plug so it simulates "key down" whenever it's plugged in. Then you have to unplug it and replug it, but either way is cheap and you don't have to wait.

I suppose I could do that Beetle, especially since I already have a cord made up for the key...(when it ever arrives)......

I fooled around with the adjustments some more today, and was able to get 80 meters down to between 3:1 and 2:1, I think that's about as good as I can expect from a coax fed 40m dipole.....

I'm laying the plans for a random wire, I'm going to first try it with the grounding system I already have in place and see if it works, if not I'll run a separate ground and some radials.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.