• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ-998 Firmware 1208 Latest Downward Power reading

mitch169

Jun 14, 2023
I have an MFJ-998 Intellituner and any power shows downward power as I modulate. But on my CN-801 Daiwa on AVG it shows upwards. The Daiwa is after the antenna tuner and before the antenna.
I have changed different lengths of the Coax—good 213.

Is this using AM mode, SSB, or ? I've seen this behavior before on AM when the mic phase is inverted.

I called MFJ. He said the wiring must be backwards. I said it's not I checked. He goes how did you check. I said I made sure the transmitter coax was going to the transmitter input and the antennas were going to the 2 antennas. He said No inside the radio. He goes if the wires are correct then it's a diode backwards.
LOL. I don't remember if I always had this problem.
Could someone take a picture? of their wires leading the the analog meter.
here's what I have. pic attached

Attachments

• 20240111_114910[1].jpg
    20240111_114910[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
When I transmit an SSB signal my 998 shows my output at around 19 watts but I'm actually putting out just below 100 watts from the ICOM 7610.. In all other modes the wattmeter on the 998 is pretty close to being correct. I don't use the wattmeter in the 998 since it's not a PEP Reading wattmeter. I use a Autek WM-1 for the output power & SWR readings. The MFJ 929 did the same thing when I owned it so it's not an issue. They Both showed the output on AM as going Backwards but the WM-1 shows forward so I'm good.

Thank You I have given up on it. and Its amazing that MFJ would say the wires are backwards did you check it? and if they are not then the diode's backward LOL

How / Where are you setting Mic Phase?
Not sure what you mean.
I have a Flex 5000a with a Studio Phantom Powered mic attached to the front of the radio and made sure Phase Invert was unchecked. (pic attached)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-11 210652.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-11 210652.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 27
Not sure what you mean.
I have a Flex 5000a with a Studio Phantom Powered mic attached to the front of the radio and made sure Phase Invert was unchecked. (pic attached)

Your previous posts never mentioned that you were using this type of setup, so it was a bit of a mystery. Try Inverting the phase and see what happens.

Your previous posts never mentioned that you were using this type of setup, so it was a bit of a mystery. Try Inverting the phase and see what happens.
After my reply I had a chance to get on the radio and ask around. 2 other people have the same problem.

Sorry, I Thought I replied. Yes Phase Invert is unchecked in the setting of the Flex 5000a software.
O I did reply, it's above. I did check, it and had the same problem.
I even called MFJ The same the wires for the meter are wired backward. HAHAHAHA. Got the email They asked what band is it happening I said AM. they never answered me back gue it was that Crusty Ham mentality YOU're NOT SUPPOSED TO USE AM!
I, not going to Buy MFJ any more their support sucks.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.