• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ's 108 SS Whip is 108 1/8 inch long from end to end.

When I lived in had a Toyota 4Runner in the 1990's I had to once a year take some SS steel wool and run it over my whip. When I would be washing Ga. red clay or Michigan Road Salt off I would hit with some NuFinnish poly/wax. I never saw rust on it just the normal whiteish film all stainless steel forms to protect itself. It is 3:50am and I have been drinking beer I can not think of the name of the sacrificial coating SS forms. LOL I have a really nice white K40 base loaded antenna but my radio has an MRF455 as it's final and I just do not trust the capacitor inside the base. If I decide to run power than I trust it even less since my 1 pill cranks out about 220 watts rms. Transistors are just too darn expensive. I remember when a Toshiba 2SC2879 was $12 now they are $64. On top of that if I decide to break the law and wonder off 11m the K40 has terrible swr off freq.!

I'm not going to touch the 1 pill 220 watts rms comment but I will say that I've had a 102" whip on my little 94 civic for over 2 years and have not noticed any corrosion or film on it. The regular steel spring was rusting and left a rust mark on the trunk that wouldn't wash away but nothing from the stainless steel mount or the whip. This includes 2 winters with Illinois salt and plenty of rain. Mine was a radio shack 102" on a 6" spring I bought for cheap from years back when sparky's was still a reputable (and open) shop. I know there are more than one formula of stainless steel which makes me wonder if perhaps we had different stainless whips. I just received my 108" whip from mfj tonight and I can say that it is in fact close to 108" so they DO make 108" whips. I stood it against my 102 with the old 6" spring and it was actually slightly longer. I'm not sure if I am a fan of the set screws in the base to hold the whip as I read a solid antenna in the description. It's not big deal as I can take it to a nearby shop to have them tig it solid. Just adding my 2 cents.
73s from 309 in the land of Lincoln. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned