• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJunk.......

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
Over the last two months or so I have been going round and round with MFJ Enterprises Inc. with defective, and damaged equipment.
It started with me ordering the MFJ-462B multi digital reader unit. This device was supposed to read Morse code, plus all forms of digital transmissions like FSK, RTTY, AMSCOR and all the rest.
I got it, read the instructions, set it up to read Morse code, and it did not function as advertised. I went so far as to send static free perfect code into this unit, and it would not read it correctly. I even got set-up advise from their tech staff, and I still could not get this unit to do what it was supposed to do.
I sent it back, and requested they substitute the MFJ-464 in it's place as it was priced the same, and the sole purpose of the 464 was to read code. The first one they sent me arrived like this......
MFJunk003.jpg

MFJunk002.jpg

MFJunk001.jpg

Needless to say I sent that right back with a strongly worded letter inside the box, plus I sent the main office an e-mail with these photo's attached, it went unanswered. I didn't hear from them at all for over two weeks, so I called them and talked to the guy in charge of receiving. He had to go in the back, find my unit, and opened it on his desk. The usual stream of hollow excuses followed about how he can't understand how something like this would ever leave their facility in that condition, apologized, and told me he would have a perfectly working unit out in that days mail.....

Well I got the second MFJ-464, read the instructions carefully, connected the unit as per the instructions, found good clean 10 WPM code being sent on 7.114.0 Mhz, tried like hell to get this POS to read the code being sent, and it wouldn't do a thing. It wouldn't lock onto the signal, and it wouldn't read a single word. Then I attempted to enter the menu set up for a second time, and it wouldn't allow me to do so, it wouldn't do anything.

Now this unit is going back to MFJunk, and I'am demanding a full credit to my Visa card. I also informed them that I have spent in excess of $37.00 in return postage fee's returning defective merchandise, and that I want to be compensated for it, but I know that won't happen.

I've had, and still have some MFJ equipment, presently I'm using a 2 meter cross needle SWR meter that works perfectly, and the old MFJ-949C antenna tuner is working just fine. I don't know what the deal is with this company, I've heard all the horror stories over the years about the low quality of their products, but I have never had issues like this before, and I now doubt that I will ever buy from them again......

MFJ stuff does tend to arrive in "kit form." I had trouble with a couple of their antenna tuners, and it took quite a while to get them repaired. I'm still not 100 percent happy with them, but they do sort of work.

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I certainly won't do business with them again.

Not saying much for, or against MFJ, I've always considered it "Budget" gear...

However what I will say is that before I actually set my mind to learn Morse, I tried a few of these, made by various makers... All had the same result, they would pick out a word here and there.. This was the case even with computer generated code... All but useless except under the best of conditions... My suggestion don't bother trying to find a reliable code reader, they may exist but I never found one..

My suggestion is anyone who thinks they may enjoy or may want to learn code check out Code Quick - Learn How To Use Morse Code In 12 Days Not my site, my only interest is in less then a month I went from someone that could not learn code, to reliably copying about 25 WPM, and passing my 20 WPM Extra test...

I've enjoyed all my Mighty Fine Junk! I've bought it all used and at about 1/2 new price.

As far as I've heard, machine CW decoding is a difficult prospect.

Use your PC and freeware to get a less expensive idea.

I've gotten MFJ equipment that was exactly as described, which doesn't necessarily mean it worked great. Also discovered that one of the first things you always do with MFJ stuff is shake it, listen for sounds that shouldn't be there. I've never gotten anything that wasn't easily 'corrected'. And what do you expect for low bid equipment anyway? It's typically better than what I had before, so I can't rally complain (and I like complaining!).

Code readers.
I don't care who makes them, they are all easily 'fooled', are NOT even close to adequate, much less comparable to that biological reader between your ears. You can take my word for that, or not, doesn't matter, it's still true. Even if you can't understand CW, you can tell a keyboard/computer generated character from a hand made one. Just takes a little practice in listening. If you fiddle with the characters, component timing/spacing, you can make the computer generated stuff sound almost 'natural', if that makes sense. The key word there is 'almost'. Just like you can gradually recognize someone's 'fist', just like their voice.
The automatic 'readers' are a lousy stop-gap excuse for learning the code. It honestly isn't that difficult, but it does take lots of practice. It's a skill. Like any skill, some are better at it than others. You gotta do it to be able to do it. If you aren't willing to do it, to work at it, don't even bother. It'll be a waste of your time and other's. I have literally seen deaf people copy code very well. maybe not at 50 wpm, but not many 'gifted' people can do that either, big deal.

No idea why you got MFJ stuff in that shape, and there's not any good reason I can think of. Best advice is to get your money back if you can, then just practice. Yeah, I went through it too, I know it's aggravating. Just do it.
- 'Doc

Sending something back to MFJ is like sending your food back at a resturant, sure you got it the way you wanted it but did the cook spit in it?

Just to touch on a few points made so far......

I re-learned the code, I just tend to loose my place, or miss a few characters here and there, I just wanted this as back up, especially if someone started to send faster than I'm used to copying.
I'm no code pro, marginal at best, I'll just have to keep at it the old school way til I improve......

These units are advertised by MFJ as being able to automatically read any code at any speed from 5 to 99 WPM, it's not until you open the box, read the instructions does it tell you that it won't do good copy if there's static or poorly sent code. Well who here has ever received code over the HF bands that didn't have some static or other noise coming in behind it.....? even at that, I've pumped my own code into these things straight from the key, and they couldn't read it worth shit, I'd get a bunch of E's and T's, and that's about it.......

I was once told by a salesman at HRO that MFJ isn't concerned with quality control, they're just interested in pumping out large volumes of equipment, then deal with the one's that don't work later. This is not my idea of a good sound company model, and the part that disturbs me most is the fact that this is supposed to be American made products, no friggin wonder this country is going to hell in a hand basket.

I'm done with MFJ, won't be bidding on any of their crap on eBay, and I certainly won't be buying any of their crap straight from them or any retailer that sells their products.
I gave them 3 chances to do the right thing, and they not only failed at that, they tried to ignore me, and when I got them on the phone they shoveled bullshit in my face.....

This has nothing to do with learning or improving my abilities with the code gentlemen, it's got everything to do with a leading company in the amateur radio business that is producing less than marginal products, lying about the capabilities of those products, packaging a product that was not properly assembled and sending to a paying customer, then blowing that customer off because they didn't want to deal with the issue.

MixW works good for decoding CW, RTTY, PSK, SSTV and a lot of other digital modes. I forget that name of the software that is included with the ham radio deluxe package but it does well with the digi modes

Thats incredible that a company can let products off the floor in that condition and still remain in business

Just to touch on a few points made so far......

I re-learned the code, I just tend to loose my place, or miss a few characters here and there, I just wanted this as back up, especially if someone started to send faster than I'm used to copying.
I'm no code pro, marginal at best, I'll just have to keep at it the old school way til I improve......

These units are advertised by MFJ as being able to automatically read any code at any speed from 5 to 99 WPM, it's not until you open the box, read the instructions does it tell you that it won't do good copy if there's static or poorly sent code. Well who here has ever received code over the HF bands that didn't have some static or other noise coming in behind it.....? even at that, I've pumped my own code into these things straight from the key, and they couldn't read it worth shit, I'd get a bunch of E's and T's, and that's about it.......

I was once told by a salesman at HRO that MFJ isn't concerned with quality control, they're just interested in pumping out large volumes of equipment, then deal with the one's that don't work later. This is not my idea of a good sound company model, and the part that disturbs me most is the fact that this is supposed to be American made products, no friggin wonder this country is going to hell in a hand basket.

I'm done with MFJ, won't be bidding on any of their crap on eBay, and I certainly won't be buying any of their crap straight from them or any retailer that sells their products.
I gave them 3 chances to do the right thing, and they not only failed at that, they tried to ignore me, and when I got them on the phone they shoveled bullshit in my face.....

This has nothing to do with learning or improving my abilities with the code gentlemen, it's got everything to do with a leading company in the amateur radio business that is producing less than marginal products, lying about the capabilities of those products, packaging a product that was not properly assembled and sending to a paying customer, then blowing that customer off because they didn't want to deal with the issue.
MFJ has alot more on their plates than just mfj, these other brands are pumped out by the same outfit.

MFJ EnterprisesAmeritronHy-GainMirage

For about six months back in the '80s, I worked as an electronics technician for MFJ, and I second all of the comments I've read here. The equipment is relatively inexpensive, but remember that you usually get EXACTLY what you pay for...

Personally, I'd rather buy a high-quality used device (tuner, amp., etc.) than own anything new from MFJ. That being said, the Ameritron (same owner as MFJ) stuff seems kind of decent in a "Wawasee Electronics" sort of way...

Roger on most all comments

Many of their more popular items work well and do what they are designed and claimed to do. They have hundreds of thousands of pieces out in Radioland and if it was total junk then no one would buy anything and they would have gone out of business many years ago.

Their Antenna Analyzers are the Cat's meow and can't be beat.

The 949 300 watt Cross Needle Series Antenna Tuners/SWR-Power meters work well and have been THE low power tuner for like forever.

I've had several of both of the above and wouldn't hesitate to own again. As long as they are working as should from new, then you're okay.

interview.gif

I probably shouldn't let this particular bad experience turn me off of them totally, as you said WW, I also have the 949c antenna tuner, and it works just fine, same with the cross needle VHF SWR meter I'm presently using, it's difficult to not get a really bad taste in your mouth after going through approximately two months of aggravating bullshit over something like this....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio