• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mics 4 the 706mkllg

I have used the Heil mic for the Icom, I get great audio reports from it.

I have used a D104 on a 706MKIIG, and got nothing but bad audio reports. At first I didnt believe them so we hooked the mic up to a friends 706 and I went mobile,,,,,,,,WOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP.

Heard a guy on 2 meter FM, had the Astatic 575 hand mic on his 706 and he sounded terrible! Very tinny and over modulated.

These "power mics" are not designed for modern ham rigs IMO. I know I know,,,,everyone here has used them and they have been "TOLD" they sound good and are "BLOWIN SMOKE!!" on 11 meter,,,,,,RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

I would stick with a Heil hand mic for the Icom or get the Icom desk mic SM-20

hey all..

the stock mic works great (think the element is by heil)
although i use the SM-20 Desktop mic mostly.

i had to heil headset mike..
it sounded ok although not as good as the stock mic
but man that headset mike sucks BIG time.
i went though 2 of them in under a month..

even though i spoke with heil and was offered a exchange
there is no way in hell i would ever buy any heil mic again

is strange heil has such a great reputasion
i would rather throw out the headset mics instead of exchanging them...each of the 2 headset mics lasted me a week to a week and half ( i was using it in my base set up not mobil-portable)

Later

so it appears the sm- 20 is the way to go.hh do you feel the guy running the 575 had the tone on high and maybe the gain up to high. my reason for asking is i have ran this mic on my 2950,not saying it is in the same class as icom,but i did take time to listen and make adjustments to get the best audio i could,my point is i ran a kenwood ts - 430 with a +3 on it with mic gain at about 5 or half way up and the gain on the mic at 3 or a 1/4 turn up . i have all ways got comments on the quality audio of my station.on ssb and am. i would play tricks on the locals who knew how my station sounded . i would switch between the 2950 and kenwood and they could never tell the differance. where i ran the mic and gain on the radios was perfect for my voice, and yes i did go mobile to listen also,i did that with about six different mics but that is another story. :D so could it have been the operator or just a bad combination. thanks for listening, whew. that was long. :(

Howdy..

I also have a Basr D104 power mike...as well as a mobil 575 M6 with tone...

neither mike sounded good with my 706 MKIIG..
both sounded over modulated and just poor quality..

You need remember one thing here..
as good as the 706 MKIIG is....
it is not a CB (yes i know many of us use it on 11 meters..lol)..
as such it is far superior to any CB out there..
it is designed to get out....
this is not acomplished via using over modulation..
rather using very strong and very clear audio..
this allowes better punch then going with over modulation..

i used to love using my astaic hand held 575 M6 with tome with my ranger ar-3500..
or using my Base D104 power mike with my RCI-2970..

i thought i did extremly well with both of them...

well that was untill i got the 706 MKIIG and then realised how to do it properly..

had to Un Learn some of my thought and beliefs..
but hey....we learn something every day..

now back to your mike for the 706 MKIIG
i am sometimes told my factory hand mike sounds better then my Icom SM-20 mike..

Heil has a couple of mikes that should do extremly well with the 706 MKIIG...
but after my horible experience with 2 of their head set mikes..
i doubt i will ever buy another heil mike...
but then the headset mike they make is not their top mike by any strech..

perhaps after getting to know my IC-7000 a bit more..
i may experiment and try heil's Gold series mike..

Hope that helps

Later

thanks king cobra for your comments,you and happy hammer,have helped me out alot . that was great to hear. i like to hear my radio on the air to help me with the audio.but since my wife is not a ham ,i will not let her talk on my 706mkllg.i ran ssb for years ,and would set my audio for that and would forget to turn it up on am but i always got comments on how clear it was on am.that was with my 2950 and the 575m6,+3.so now i am on vhf/uhf i hear 706s on the air and just wonder how mine sounds, one guy on qrz made a sound file that you can listen to .he is useing the 706mkllg and the sm- 20,mic but i didnt thing it sounded any better than the stock mics i have heard on the air.but i dont like hand mics that much on the base.but i agree i must retrain my thinking on ham freqs.so i still need to hear the heil mic for the icom, than make a choice. thanks again. Don P.

Like everyone has said, power mics do not work on amateur radios very well. Of course, Icom uses an electret condenser mic, so it is easy to overdrive the heck out of them with an Astatic or other CB-type mic.

About the only mics that will work on an Icom are those designed for Icoms. Go to Heil's website and there is a link to explain the specifics of Icom radios.Icom info

I would like to find a Heil HMM-ic hand mic for my 706, but they are discontinued. I got the HMMY hand mic for my 847 and it is fine, but I traded another mic for it, so no cash out (best way).

Power mics are no good for VHF-UHF FM usage. They will cause too much deviation in the FM audio circuit, making you sound distorted and overdriven.

You are probably just as well off with the stock mic, and if you want a desk mic, get an SM-8 or 20.

what ever you do, you will probably have to buy the cable to convert your mic connector to the modular plug used on the 706.

Since we're on the subject of mics for the 706, does anyone have any experience with a noise cancelling mic that will work on these? The hmm-ic is discontinued (and got a lot of bad reviews, anyway). I need something that is noise cancelling, but sounds good in my Jeep. My jeep is just waaaay too noisy.

can you use a amp with the icom 706mkiig. if so. what kind do you suggest. can you use a dx500v ?
/

Hi..

Ofcourse you can use a amp or linear for the 706 MKIIG

there are many out there that will work well..

do not bother with any B or C biases amps..
706 MKIIG (all 706 units) are biased with AB1
to use a lesser (or more dirty amp) quality amp or linear would deminish the ability of a 706 MKIIG

many i am sure will argue differently..
but there is a reason the 706 MKIIG (and most ham radio's)
use AB1 biasing...
it is clearer audio that can get though better (sometimes much better and sometimes a little better)..

but if you added a B or C biased amp..
your 706 MKIIG will no longer be transmitting in AB1 biasing

i have been considering getting a amp / linear myself.i i get out so well without it...i never have gotten around to it

besides..
an antenna is a better investment then a amp or linear
if you use a exellent antenna with exellent coax and then exellent amp linear (then you would likly do better then i do...lol) but the amp / linear should be last on the list..

i perfer
1-radio
2-antenna
3-coax
4-mike
5-amp/linear

(although i am sure many would put antenna then caox and then radio.....but my experience is as i listed above)

Later

i know its been awhile since this topic was staterd.but i have had time to use my 706mkiig and other mics. And i could not find one to beat the stock mic that came with the radio. :D after time and effort to adjust the mic gain and compresser and carrier freq. i got it dailed in for my voice and i receive good comments on the audio quality and fidelty . just good old clear sounding and clean audio.you guys had it right on the money . thanks for all of your replys.Don

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.