• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

midland 75-822 swing kit?

akforlife

Oct 14, 2009
I'm wanting to run a small amp with my 75-822 but can't figure out how to tune it down a bit. Dose anyone know how to install a swing kit or just retune it down a little?

Nobody is going to fool with lowering deadkey on a handheld. I have seen once on youtube a Midland that been peaked for closer to 100% mod. BTW 75-822 is a hot radio for a handheld, should key between 3 and 4 watts, peak around 10-12 watts, but will vary from radio to radio, which is still over 75% modulation, which is alot for a handheld. Supposedly bells CB can peak them out, like in this video Midland 75-822 Modified - YouTube, showing 4.2w on the meter swing to 18, but I am a bit skeptical of the accuracy of his meters.

Personally, I wouldn't f*** it up trying to drop the deadkey to run a cheap amp, hell I wouldn't own an amp you coulnt drive with 4 watts carrier. Its a neat little radio, easy to modify, can do from 26.525-28.305 and A channels.
It might can even do FM if some of the guts were rewired, mine looked like it had "almost" the same chip as the Alan 42 from europe.

If you want to drive an amp with a lower carrier power, get something like a cobra 19,25 or 29, uniden 66 or 78, or similar, tons of information available online to change the output of the radio. If youd like, I got a Unden pc68 and cobra 25wx I trade for that handheld.

alot lot of amps wont like that high of a carriers. And I have two or three cobra 25's and 29's hanging around here already. I like the midland because its compact and I dont have the room in the tacoma for a 29. I was just thinking if I could get the midland to deadkey 2 watts my amp would be way happier with me. But then again I'm not a real long talker, it might be just fine

I would switch radio's if it were me, those handhelds sacrifice wattage, audio, and overall performance for size. That said if you must run that radio these amplifiers will work with your radio as it is now. With only 12 watts PEP you will not get the max advertised wattage but they can handle the 3-4 watt dead key just fine. Your radio just plain won't work well with a small amplifier in the 100-200 watt range.

TNT 350hd

Transistors 2 x 2SC2879
Dimensions H 4 1/4' x L 7 1/8' x W 41/4'
Amp Draw (maximum) 29
Class B biasing
SSB Delay auto
Pre-amp yes
Driver Required N/A
Power Output (RMS) 150 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 400 Watts
Driven Power (RMS) N/A
Driven Power (PEP) N/A
install recommended with 8ga wire
and 50a fuse. Max input carrier of
5w or 120w max carrier from amp.
Max peak input 120w.

Price: $232.99

200HD

Transistors 2 x 2SC2879
Dimensions H 4 1/4' x L 7 1/8' x W 4 1/4'
Amp Draw (maximum) 37
Class C
no SSB Delay
no Pre-amp
no Driver Required N/A
Power Output (RMS) 200 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 370 Watts
Driven Power (RMS) N/A
Driven Power (PEP) N/A

NEW!!! Choose your LED light colors!

Price: $212.99

"I'm wanting to run a small amp with my 75-822 but can't figure out how to tune it down a bit. Dose anyone know how to install a swing kit or just retune it down a little?"

I've got the same CB and was just thinking about this the other day. The CB has a LOW output setting, its suppose to be 1 watt, designed to save battery power. Was thinking about setting it to the 1 watt and hooking up a cheap amp and see how it does. :unsure:

"I'm wanting to run a small amp with my 75-822 but can't figure out how to tune it down a bit. Dose anyone know how to install a swing kit or just retune it down a little?"

I've got the same CB and was just thinking about this the other day. The CB has a LOW output setting, its suppose to be 1 watt, designed to save battery power. Was thinking about setting it to the 1 watt and hooking up a cheap amp and see how it does. :unsure:

I think you answered your own question. If the radio has a Lo power setting get your watt meter inline and see where it is at. Then get an amplifier that can handle that level of input power. BAM DONE.

it seems like the radio did 'swing' more on low power than high. i have in the past had a few vintage cb handhelds and there was in the old Secret CB magazines, the location of the modulation pot and limiter, so it used to be cool, even on a handheld, problem is nobody gives a damn, stations are typically miles apart vs blocks apart so handheld is pretty much useless except in a traffic jam or in the woods.

i would almost bet on there being a pot to control modulation. when i had my midland apart i really wasnt looking for it, just dont turn a coil by mistake (the ones in the metal boxes)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.