• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 79-290

Ok I was on Ebay and found something that should take care and answer the question of is Midland tied in with Maycom. This is an ad for a cord I found after typing in Maycom (Midland 42 Maycom AH27 Eurosonic Adaptor For CB Radio) AHHHHHH HAAAAAAA!!!!!

cheech, what kind of SSB are you looking for?
I have a Washington SSB for sale. It has extra channels and road map with it. Let me know if you are interested. :)

I'm buying this radio new next month from r&r communications in delaware . After seeing al the good praise about this radio i think it will go great in my wifes (lol) 2001 hyundi accent. Im gonna set it up to hit a old davemade 2pill with a wilson 1000 and i have a d-104 handheld . should i swapout the d-104 a d636-L noise cancle mic since i'm gona set this radio up to hit a box???

2at124 said:
I'm buying this radio new next month from r&r communications in delaware . After seeing al the good praise about this radio i think it will go great in my wifes (lol) 2001 hyundi accent. Im gonna set it up to hit a old davemade 2pill with a wilson 1000 and i have a d-104 handheld . should i swapout the d-104 a d636-L noise cancle mic since i'm gona set this radio up to hit a box???

The D104M6 worked great when I had mine.

I tried both power and NC Astatics and the NC mic worked much better, but also realize I had performed the modulation mod. on the radio as well. The O'scope indicated peaks between 120% so I changed the resistor value, lowering it to avg. 100% using the NC Astatic. For mobile environments, the NC is a better choice IMHO. The pwr. mic doesn't make it any louder, just more sensitive to picking up environmental noise. Interesting to note that speaking very closely into the Astatic NC mic, at an angle to the windscreen results in best clarity and modulation, versus facing straight into the mic. O'scope and radio reports confirmed that.

Iforgot about this thread i hav ehad my 79-290 for a while now this is what found . I had great report on tx in am and side band with the d-104m6b on it . mine dk 4 swing to 10 on am and 20watts on ssb iliek the memory and freq counter .the meter isnt all that good everyone gives me 30 db in my town and i alway have 7pounds of noise iwish icoul dfind the vr to turn the meter back but i havent found it yet. The 79-290 work great to hit a low drive amp with a davemade 2pil this radio sound like on of the big radios. The antnna iwa susing was a wilson 1000 imade alot of good dx contact with the way i had it set up so i can t complain . Iaske dmy wife what she thought of the radio and she said she love it easy to work it small space is perfect for her litle car and the display is east to read an dshe like the memories to if ths ha dsome sort of nb/anl instea dof the loc button it would be a awsome radio

I'll post this reply (from another thread) here as well, since this thread is dedicated to the 79-290.

There is a VR in there for the S meter as well as for Tx side of it, but I can't remember which one it is exactly. Justin might better know which pot is which. Besides, turning it down just for the sake of local 30db signals will de-accurize it for the weaker ones. There's also a IF xformer to better tune for the WX band on your antenna setup, that way the coarse/fine tune controls will center nicely and allow for max. reception. I have the exact VRs documented in my file of papers, but since my recent move, things are sort of not in order yet and they are packed away somewhere! If I find those documents, I'll be sure to post any corrections here... otherwise I could be talkin' out of my arse! ;) Please don't hold me to this (and you might want to index mark a VR before twiddling it), but off the top of my head I "think" the following VRs may be:

red circle: tx & rx trimpots
yellow circle: WX I.F. xformer
magenta circle: modulation trimpot
orange circle: rf bias trimpots

b8073633.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio