• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Missing friend and an idiot interfering with the search

roadrage

Friday morning of Nov 29 my best friend, Ryan Stevens, left Millinocket to go hunting. Northwestern Maine is large and uninhabited forest. Logging industry has made thousands of drivable roads that spider web through the entire region. If one were to look on a map and see the vast span of desolate woods, they would understand the alarm when Ryan and his hunting partner didn't return on Friday night, as scheduled. Ryan was picking up his son on Saturday, so something was wrong. Temperatures on Friday night touched down to 5 deg. F, -6 deg. with the wind chill. Saturday's temperature never got above 19 deg. F. The Maine Warden service started a search on Saturday in both Ragmuff area, and a second team near Chamberlain Lake. I had been at my step-father's hunting camp, near Chesuncook Lake, since Thanksgiving. I learned of my friend being missing on Saturday night, when I returned home from my 3 day hunting trip. I had been up since 5 AM and it was now 6 PM. I was an arctic paratrooper with the 1/501st PIR of the 25th Inf Div. stationed in Ft. Richardson, Alaska. I am no stranger to woods survival. I put together a pack, fueled up my truck, and headed back up the Golden Road. I had another friend riding along with me. I linked up with a Warden at 9 PM to discuss possible search locations, and find out where had already been searched. I gave him my operating channel of 19 on CB, 6 06 on the two way, an even though I cant transmit that I would monitor their truck to truck frequency.

6 AM the following morning, I entered my apartment. I had been up for 25 hours and my truck needed fuel. I came to town to refit. I slept from 6:05 until 6:55. I fueled up my truck and two 5 gal cans. I met up with my step-father at camp and asked him to join the search. Several volunteers from the Millinocket area had joined the search. After two solid days of ground search with the aid of two air assets, we still haven't even found their truck. During the search for my friends, a vehicle belonging to a Canadian hunter, who has been lost since Tuesday, was discovered. Unfortunately, he still hasn't been found. By 12:30 PM on Saturday the Chamberlain parking lot was filled with about 75 people or more. Several of us have CBs.

Skip was rolling on Saturday, so local coms weren't getting out very far. That is understandable because you can't stop mother nature. But late afternoon, I had a request of information and location for my search team. I called out for my search team to respond. I got a response from a man but he wasn't part of the search. He was just some guy playing a joke. I didn't respond, to avoid clogging up the channel further with a needless argument. My best friend could be seriously injured or dead. What kind of retarded ass monkey will pretend to be part of a search for two people whose lives could be on the edge, or even possibly dead? I just want to say, whoever you are, you make me sick. Imagine that was your son out there in the freezing cold.

At dusk the organized search ended for the day. I returned to Millinocket to see my children for a moment, then refit to head back up for the night. I commandeered a few gas cans, so I planned to rest for an hour or two and head back up 70 miles in the woods to stay until the following night. Ryan and Travis had broken through the ice of a beaver flowage in a spur road near Alagash Lake. They were unable to self recover the stuck truck. Wet and cold, they spent the first night in the truck, running it only when they couldn't bear the shivering. The next morning, the truck was very low on fuel and may not last another night. Despite the remote area, Travis drives log truck and knew the area well. The next morning Travis stated the knowledge of the camps, 8-9 miles away. The beginning stages of hypothermia started setting in, but after prayers and perseverance, they reached the camps. They found all were stripped but one. The one camp was fully stocked with firewood, food, drinking water, and even a fresh spring on site. As they stood in front of the door trying to find the best way in with the least amount of damage, it took only touching the door with one finger and the lock broke off the door. Ryan was delighted to find his two favorite foods, spaghetti and Kraft Mac & Cheese, were in abundance. Several items inside the camp were noticed to have been purchased at the store where Ryan works, Maine Military Supply. He said it was like it was meant for them to find.

As I was pulling out of my ex-wife's driveway, she came out waving her arms to stop. "They have been found!" A Canadian customs agent, who was part of the search for the lost Canadian hunter, was on his way back to Quebec when he encountered HELP written in pine bows on the roadway. Several limbs in the road were constructed in shape of an arrow. It led to a sporting camp containing two missing hunters. Thank God for watching over them. I hope that God is also with the Canadian hunter, who is still lost after 8 days. God used Ryan and Travis being missing to find the Canadian hunter's van. Then God used the Canadian searcher who, "accidentally" found Ryan and Travis. Lets hope that some chance will lead searchers to the man who is still lost.

Reactions: 4 people

You certainly never know when things like this are gonna happen so we can only be so prepaired. I often tell my kids this and that we need to take everyday as if its possible its our last. I was so happy to read they were found but I will say my heart jumped to my throat for a split second when reading "They broke through a Beaver Dam" well until I read on that was a bad or horrible part. Prayers sent out the the Canadian Hunter and his family. I hope hes ok but eitherway pray they get resolution or closure. :unsure::unsure:

Also re-enforces the need to tell people "this is the exact route I am taking, this is exactly where I'll be." With the nearest cell coverage about 50 miles away, it is a must. I've done it a hundred times too. I've said, there isn't much sign here so lets move onto another spot. Once your out there, you can't really tell anyone of any change in your plans. With that in mind, it makes a search very difficult if there is a problem. It is so much area to cover.

I guess that with more time spent in the woods comes more knowledge of it. But also comes a degree of over-confidence that it won't happen to you. My buddy really gets upset that people say he was lost. He was afraid, but he wasn't lost. He knew exactly where he was. He just couldn't get home and we didn't know where he was.

That being said, I understand that the Canadian hunter knew his area well. He has hunted it, here in Maine, for many years. I shouldn't insult him by the claim that he is lost. He is missing, not lost. I really hope for the best for him, but I fear the worst. My buddy was missing for 2.5 days and the wardens thought we were looking for bodies. So 8 days without shelter doesn't look good for this man.

Skip was rolling on Saturday, so local coms weren't getting out very far. That is understandable because you can't stop mother nature. But late afternoon, I had a request of information and location for my search team. I called out for my search team to respond. I got a response from a man but he wasn't part of the search. He was just some guy playing a joke. I didn't respond, to avoid clogging up the channel further with a needless argument. My best friend could be seriously injured or dead. What kind of retarded ass monkey will pretend to be part of a search for two people whose lives could be on the edge, or even possibly dead? I just want to say, whoever you are, you make me sick. Imagine that was your son out there in the freezing cold.

Welcome to the human race. Like the bumper sticker I saw the other day said "The more people I meet the more I like my dog".

Thank god they were found. I have been lost in the woods before and it is not a joyous feeling being miles from any civilization.
Glad to hear they are okay and god bless you roadrage, there are not many real people like this left in the world. Bless you sir and thanks for the Good Samaritan service that you had the sense to envoke!!

Reactions: 1 person
I wish I could say that I played a larger role than I did. I didn't organize anything. I was just a part of a bigger picture. I admit that I was willing to put in more time, but being an ex infantry soldier I believe I am just more accustom to the lack of sleep than most. I was also looking for my best friend, many of the community that was involved didn't even know them and searched anyway. That was worthy of the most praise.

Glad they found your friend. Hoping for the best on the Canadian. I really don't understand why people do stuff like the fella did to your radio calls. I was listening on 20 meters one time, and there was a distress call from a ship captain down around St. Petersburg, Florida. I was listening to this QSO while I was in Texas. The guy clearly stated he had like 25 passengers on board, and the ship was taking on water. Other ham operators were handling it as a true emergency, and had dispatched local Sheriff's and the Coast Guard. Turned out as the conversation continued, the guy started cussing and slurring, and sounded intoxicated. He then said a bunch of cuss words and F you's, and was laughing, so the whole thing was called off. I recently read a similar incident happened (article on QRZ.com) and they were trying to find out who the culprit was so they could prosecute. Too many lives are put at stake, sending Sheriff's and Coast Guard ships out to look for survivors of a fake accident. And they potentially could have been called away from a real accident, too. I really don't get it, but it must be the same kind of thinking as a kid that calls 911 just so he can see the fire trucks show up.

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.