• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Missing tower, been missing, gofundme fraud?

brandon7861

Loose Wire
Nov 28, 2018
That 200' tower that someone stole, just saw a video from 3 days ago where some people investigated the site. The tower has been clearly missing for a years and he is on gofundme trying to replace what was "stole last week". I think brett elmore is gonna be in some trouble, not only for the gofundme scam currently running, but with the FCC for not keeping the AM side of his station operating.

Where's the transmitter?

Just playing devil's advocate here, but, did the guy ever say that the station was knocked off the air? It's possible that the station shut down years ago but left the tower there. Maybe someone did steal it quite some time ago, but if it was abandoned, they wouldn't know it until someone looked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keto
Here you go, folks!

.... On September 14, 2009, WJLX changed its format to oldies, branded as "Oldies 101.5", in conjunction with the launch of FM translator W268BM (101.5 MHz). At the time, the area had no station playing oldies music.[16] Unable to pay debts and financially insolvent, Wal Win sold WJLX to the Hattie Reese Trust effective January 19, 2017, for $150,000. The trust acquired W268BM, which was owned separately, at the same time.[17] The station's license was subsequently assigned to John Burdette upon the dissolution of the trust effective November 20, 2017. Effective May 1, 2018, the station was sold to Don Earley, who owns the Alabama Cable Network. In 2022, the station was honored by the Alabama Broadcasters Association for its continuous airing of Words of Truth, a religious program on the air in morning drive for 75 years and presented live every day of the year; that same year, the station relocated its studios to a site on U.S. 78.[18]

In February 2024, the station, which has gone silent several times throughout the last few years due to deferred maintenance involving the 1240 AM tower southeast of Jasper that is slowly being repaired, posted on its Facebook page that the station's entire antenna, including the 200 ft (61 m) mast, and most of its transmission equipment within a building, was stolen, rendering it unable to broadcast at all over the AM band.[19] The station's request to continue broadcasting on FM was denied by the FCC.[20]

That 200' tower that someone stole, just saw a video from 3 days ago where some people investigated the site. The tower has been clearly missing for a years and he is on gofundme trying to replace what was "stole last week". I think brett elmore is gonna be in some trouble, not only for the gofundme scam currently running, but with the FCC for not keeping the AM side of his station operating.

Dumb and dumber go on a tower hunt! :ROFLMAO: I thought the video was some sort of slapstick comedy.

The whole story sounds like a bunch of bologna!
IMG_20240216_211420.gif

I found this link (didn't work for me so put the pics here) in the red it thread. A commenter claims to have access to Nearmaps through his work and shared the pictures in the link. Top pic is Nov 2021, Bottom pic is Nov 2023. That means it has been down since at least November.

undefined - Imgur.jpg

undefined - Imgur (1).jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Keep an eye on the news. Pretty sure this is a case of fraud. One site I frequent made up of current/former broadcast techs and engineers has been discussing this and one mentioned it was a potential fraud/insurance scam.

No insurance they say.

OK that is not the image I saw on the other site I am on. I checked it again and the other tower I was thinking of was not stolen. It had its guy wires cut and it fell. THAT is the one we were talking about being a case of fraud. Sorry about that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.