• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobil Radio Meter?

skirk55

Nov 6, 2006
Bucks County Pa. 18940
When I installed mt Cobra in my truck I had to go and get a SWR meter. Then I was looking at that little meter on the left of my radio. I think is said SWR Meter but I can't be for sure because it's so small I cant read it! This is no use to me at all. The SWR meter I purchased from Radio Shack was easy to read and looked good. It's too big to add to to my radio. Do they make one that I can keep attached and not be in the way?

dont bother running one. once an antenna is properly set the swr wont change unless the antenna gets damaged. all a meter is going to do is cause a loss in the line.

A well-designed meter won't cause any detectable "loss"; certainly nothing that the guy on the other end will notice.

However, any meter left in the line and in the open where you can see it is a distraction that I, personally, don't want you to have if you're in the oncoming lane of traffic.

Set things up. Remove the meter. Operate. Check things every week or so just to ease your mind.

I spent $35.00 for an SWR meter and now I will not use it again until I change something? I will check it for antenna maintenance. From what I have read here the CB system that one install will be constantly reworked and improved. So it will be used more than I was thinking.

Carl said:
dont bother running one. once an antenna is properly set the swr wont change unless the antenna gets damaged. all a meter is going to do is cause a loss in the line.

Obviously you must run bone stock or you just love to replace power transistors continuosly.
Here is my reaction to your line loss statement........ :roll:

hey skirk,just wanted to say hi from lehigh county ,pa here.your where?near quakertown area??they do make some small meters you could leave inline ...but not much smaller than the radio shack one you got now ...theres a few about the same height as that one but less width......just use some double sided tape and mount that under your radio ...or secure it somewhere in the truck and run your coax to it .you can do it......

actualy a bird meter is the only meter that wont cause any loss at all. no added reflection, which a dosy will.

ever take the cover off a dosy and see the size of the leads. no line loss my butt.

I've never seen a Dosy's interior, but I do have quite a collection of "inexpensive" (read "cheap") SWR meters which I've acquired over the years. Brand names like Archer, Lafayette, General, Micronta, Allied and so on.

Every one of them - even the cheesiest - uses a line section printed on a piece of PC board, directly connecting the input and output connectors in a straight line. The wire leads are not in the signal path. They connect to the switches, the calibration pot and to the meter terminals. Since these leads don't carry any of the input or output signal, they don't/can't cause any losses.

I suspect the Dosys are pretty much the same.

beetle the dosy is different.

yes you can add one. get that palstar. with the remote hookup you dont need all the extra coax and such to mount it where you want. it will do you fine. if you ever were to run something where A meter would cause an issue, it would be with big power .

a friend has one, and it does him great

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.