• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Antenna for 10-20

Onthecoast

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 13, 2012
I've put an HF rig back in my Xterra and right now I am using a 4' CB antenna with an autotuner in between. I wasn't planning on running that setup, but I tried it an actually made a few contacts on 10, 17, and 20 so far. I'm wondering if there is a decent antenna that I can use for the higher bands like 10-20 that would work better than what I am using right now. The antenna mount is on top of my SUV which is already around 6'6" tall (give or take) so I don't think I would want to run much more than about 6' of antenna up there.

I already have a screwdriver, but I'm looking for something simple that can take a beating. Would I be better off with just a longer whip like a cut down 102" whip and possibly a decent coil? I would like to be able to run at least the higher bands without having to get out and manually band change so I could use the autotuner I have or possibly one that mounts to the base of the antenna. I know the best answer is to use the screwdriver, but I just don't want that antenna on top taking abuse.

Screwdriver antennas can take a beating. My Little Tarheel II has had some real hammer.

If you use a whip you want to be looking at a SGC230 or similar antenna coupler.

Some of the places that I have been too have really tight clearances. I'd feel much better with a whip than the Tarheel up there.

I used to use a fiberglass 102 inch whip mounted on the rear door vertical edge of a Ford Escape and a Yaesu FC-40 auto tuner mounted on the inside of the door. The connection to the tuner was an 8 inch piece of heavy braided strap to reduce losses. Using coax cable between the tuner and antenna feedpoint is a no-no. It worked quite well from 20m and up. I made a lot of worldwide contacts on 20m and 15m especially with that set up.

Reactions: 3 people
Oh yeah, I know I am breaking some no no's right now. I'm suprised that I have been able to make some contacts as is, because I know it is nowhere near ideal, but I made contacts on 20 and 17 today on the way to and from work today. I know that doesn't mean the system is effective, but at least it is getting the signal in the air and conditions are able to do their thing.

I think I am going to try and pick up an IC-AH4 and see if I can get that to work well on 40-10 (maybe 6 but not a priority) with either a base loaded whip or a 40 meter ham stick.

I've kept using the cb antenna an have done ok on 20, 17, and 10. Talked to Minnesota and Connecticut today on 20 and Italy on 17 on the way to work. Got a 59 report from Italy. Not bad for the morning commute.

Not a good idea running a Hamstick on a different band either. Some people have without an issue (supposedly) while others have had theirs literally burn up. Also if running an auto tuner forget any base loading. It's not necessary and simply robs power and depending on frequency may make the antenna hard to tune. Go with a straight whip if using an auto tuner for all bands.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.