• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile antenna for handheld scanner

that is a ok antenna he has a link to
i would suggest a high gain antenna for better reception

also what frequency's do you want to listen to most

For the best performance an external antenna is worth it.

Depending on your local services and what bands they use will determine what antenna you should get.

I used to run a dual band VHF/UHF ham antenna, that was just a cheap fiberglass rod and the increase in performance was remarkable...until an angry cop literally ripped it off the fender of my car. Legal or not, they don't much like people with mobile scanners ;-) I put the next one on with a spring

Here's one for $10

Wish I had seen this when it was 'fresh'!

If there's a particular band you listen to more than others, select an antenna optimized for that band. If you want to listen to everything, optimize the antenna for the lowest band, as in as long as possible, within reason.
In most cases, the antenna in/on the car radio will work just fine. As long as the antenna is outside of the car's metal body, it will work 'better' than if it's inside.
Acanners are receivers. Receivers just are not as 'picky' as transmitters. In most cases, more is better. And the only place you will be able to tell a -huge- difference is in your wallet. Unfortunately, that difference only increases in 'negativity'.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.