• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Antenna for Jeep

Codejockey

KF5CKB
Jul 21, 2009
www.armedtexan.com
I will try and post a pic in a little bit; however, I have a Jeep I use for hardcore off-roading. I currently have a magnet mount antenna base, and it's okay, but not really what I had in mind. I'd like to do a more permanent mount on it. Drilling holes isn't an issue for me at all. Can you guys recommend a mount / antenna combo that would work really well. I tried the lip antenna mounts, but the jeep hardly has any lips, and the few there are were too thick for the mount to go on, so I'm thinking either magnet or drill. I have a bracket on the back of the tailgate that used to be used for an aftermarket 3rd brake light which I no longer have. That would be perfect if I can find a drill type mount I can use with it. Also, not sure if it matters, but I'm looking for a 144/220/440 antenna. Thanks!

I have a mount from Arizona Rocky Road on my Jeep for my CB antenna. It works great and mounts where the spare tire goes on the tailgate. I use a 2' antenna that just sticks above the top of my Jeep. It's not an ideal setup, but I rarely ever hit my antenna on anything with this setup.

I am also looking at putting a 2m/440 radio in my Jeep, so I am subscribing to this thread. I am looking forward to some good suggestions on the antenna.

Which type of Jeep? YJ, TJ, JK? I have a TJ...and I also know of few different mounts that work well, but you need the right one for your jeep model.

Mole is the better man to help you with mounting hardware for the Jeep, I can offer some suggestions for the actual antenna....

If you are going for single band, then the Metz coil loaded antennas can't be beat, however they do not make a multi band antenna....

For a multi band application the two brands I would look at are Diamond, and Comet. Both offer good high gain dual and tri-band antennas with a lift and lay feature to lower your anteena should you drive into a parking garage or other low ceiling structure.

The MNO mount is good if you're drilling through and directly mounting on a horizonal area of the vehicle body...(roof, hood, trunk)
For a bracket mounted antenna I personally prefer a UHF mount connecting the antenna with a PL-259 connector, however the MNO mount can also be used in this type application. Both Comet and Diamond offer most all their antenna models in both mount configurations.

On a YJ you should have the bracket on the right rear corner that is used as a stop for the rear tire. It works great as an antenna mount. Just bolt on a mirror mount or something similar to the side.

Another good idea is this teraflex mount: TeraFlex CB Antenna Mount for Drivers Side of CJ,YJ,TJ Jeeps

That goes behind the rear lights. It's similar to the one I custom made for my jeep (look in the pics section) but I made mine before they had that product.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.