• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Antenna Mounting Spot

Well the wilson 1000 is 62 inches long but if you want performance longer is better. Just get used to it I guess.

My request in the WTB section has been updated haha. 62inches is fine as well. There's a big difference between 62 and 102 :p Thanks for the heads up

Just saw this on the bottom banner:

Wilson FGT-3 SilverLoad Fiberglass CB Radio Antenna NEW - eBay (item 380258054515 end time Aug-12-10 14:03:13 PDT)

Any good? I see it doesn't COME with the mag mount (as far as I have seen so far) but I could probably find one or something.. I'd prefer it came with a mag mount but for 3 dollars more than what I paid for my crappy one, if this is any good I could jump on it..

Not for a beginner to mess with.
You may have some issues getting it to work right.
Adapting it to a mag mount is NOT for a beginner to deal with.
But they are nice antennas...
Be a little patient...something will come along...

with the wilson 1000/5000 some vehicles need the 66 inch stinger to get a good vswr .

I will comment on something..haha.

My first CB setup was:
Metra-Scosche CB mag mount
Cobra 19 DX IV

I will warn you, that antenna isn't broadbanded by any means. The SWR is nutso all over he place depending on what channel you're on. It's also very poor on the receive side. Finally, it'll only last about a year before a connection breaks free somewhere.

I upgraded to a Lil'Wilson after that. HUGE improvement.

Then I went with a 96" fiberglass whip. Holy crap, can you receive. I can faintly make out truckers 30-40 miles away with it, even with all the hills of Michigan. I can talk back to my base station 20-30 miles on ~4w, solid copy both directions. I'd imagine the groundwave range would be WAAAYYY past that if I kicked on my Palomar. When skip is rolling, the skies the limit. I got a contact in with Jamaica last year when the atmospherics were insane one morning.

But yes, go with a Wilson 1000! You can't go wrong with it. Or a K40...or Wilson 5000!

Antenna > Microphone > Radio > Amplifier

-Richard-

Hills? In Michigan? :blink:
They're pretty gradual.

Not obvious by any means until you're on top of one, and you realize, you can see the lake which is 30 miles away.

I'm on the southwest side of the state if that has any bearing...I think the east side of the state is a LOT flatter.

-Richard-

That's awesome office! I really hope I can come up with a WIlson 1000 or at LEAST a little wilson... Preferably a 1000... But there's one guy offering right now let's hope it goes well

Last edited:
If you have one of the national chain truck stops close by try there for an antenna.It might be worth a shot

There is a Petro close to me that has a few Wilson antennas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.