• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile multi-band antenna for a VX-8R

KD8KSX

Feb 25, 2010
Hello all,

I did a search and read quite a few discussions, but I didn't find quite what I was looking for, so I thought I'd post a fresh question.

I've been using the -8R in my car for about a year, through a Comet 24M. That's worked well enough for hitting a 2m repeater that covers most of my commute, but I don't like the damage it's doing to my finish. I also just got an FT-7900R (with a Diamond SG7500 antenna), ostensibly for my truck, but was hoping to be able to swap it over to my car for when I take it for the commute (far better gas mileage, but less comfortable). To that end, I mounted a diamond K400S on my trunk lip.

Anyway, after mounting the 7900R in my truck, I realize that swapping it back and forth to the car isn't all that practical, so I've decided to just stick with the VX-8R in the car, but now I want to get a better antenna to put on the K400S mount. Since the radio transmits on 6/2/220/440, it'd be nice if I could find an antenna that's good on all 4 bands, but haven't found one. I have found several antennas that work on 6/2/440, and others that work on 2/220/440, but not all 4.

So, 2 questions...

1 - Is there an antenna out there that I haven't found that will work well on all four bands?
2- If I do have to choose between the two tri-band options, which would be the most useful choice for the WV Eastern Panhandle/Northern VA area?

Thanks,

KD8KSX

I don't know of a 6m/2m/220/440 antenna, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I think you're going to have to purchase a duplexer and run 6 meters on it's own antenna. Something like this Diamond MX62M would work. It splits 1.6-56Mhz on one side, and 76-470mhz on the other.

Diamond® Antenna ~ MX62M Duplexer

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.