1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

Mobile Slim Jim Antenna?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Nursecosmo, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Nursecosmo

Nursecosmo Member

Considering the desirable low radiation angle and resulting high gain from a Slim Jim type antenna, one would think that someone has mounted one in a mobile application. I've searched the net but can't find anything about mobile Slim Jims.

In my mind at least, it would seem to be a fairly simple operation to design and mount one on the roof of a vehicle. Besides a change in SWR (which should be adjustable), in what negative way would it interact with the metal roof? Has anyone seen a mobile application of this antenna?

2. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

The first thing that comes to mind is that if that 'Slim Jim' isn't fairly flexible, count on it doing some tree trimming when moving. Which would mean a fairly substantial mount. It's just not going to be a 'small' antenna. If you can live with the mechanical aspects of an antenna of this sort, then have at it. I'm not so sure that an end fed 1/2 wave wouldn't be an easier antenna to live with.
    - 'Doc