• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile tube amp?

sir. witchback

Pied Piper
Sep 26, 2009
WV USA
So I have been building myself a new truck for the last 3 years and its about ready to put on the road. I have (2) alternators. One 13VDC;190A to run the truck electrical, and my radio equipment. And one 19.2VDC;155A that is powering a 16VDC AGM D1600 2,400A battery, for my amplifiers. I am half way done building a (4) tube -31LQ6 driver amp that will drive my water-cooled 8Pill.
I am thinking of dropping the 8pill from the truck, and building a large tube box. I have build a few 6lq6, and 31lq6 boxes, and many pill boxes. I try to make them very clean, and filtered all I can. I don't over drive my gear, and run most of the time about 90% modulation. Low dead keys, and swing what I can. Living in the hills of WV, I do allot of driving way out in to the woods. I would like to know what you people think of this idea. What kids of tubes I can go with, and what kind of power I can expect, using my power supply's.

Any input is welcome. 73's

There used to be several tube mobile amplifiers. That was about the time when transistors first came out, weren't common at all, so cost more than a tube type mobile amplifiers did. It's certainly is possible. It also is a really PITA because of the higher voltages required for a tube type amplifier, plate voltage for instance. That can be really fun. And then there's the fact that a 'tube' if more fragile than solid state devices. Just different problems. If you want to try it, do so. Just get ready for working out problems that are not very common anymore.
- 'Doc

I agree - mobile tube amps are "interesting". BUT - I know a guy that runs dynamotors (1950's) and runs a broadcast-quality mobile on AM. He runs old aircraft dynamotors that are fed with 24 volts (rated at 28 volts). They produce the plate voltage and current. He also runs a Johnson Ranger. Mobile. He uses 813's as finals in his amp. They were designed for "JAN" service. (Joint Army/Navy) service in the '40's. They are rated @ 500 watts and are "case hardened" for mobile and aircraft service. (thats a joke but they are not sensitive to mobile use). Take a look at the old ART-13 transmitter. The Russkys got sum good mobile toobs, too. My old friend run's 4 813's. Mobile. I wish I had a setup that good.....Keep the faith! ..Rumrunner out...

This is great feed back. I have also thought about how much vibrations, and jarring sweep tubes can handle. I think I might have to drop the idea of a 4 tube sweep amp. I think if I do go with tubes, they will have to be built a tad bit better hay..

Thank you for your inputs, I would love to see more on this subject.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.