• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modded my D104 lollie pop over to a RAT shack $3.99 Electrec cartridge... WOW

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
Modded my D104 lollie pop over to a RAT shack $3.99 Electrec cartridge... WOW

It sounds incredible on side band. All the locals want one now. It couldn't have been any simpler really I am running it without a coupling capacitor but that does not seem to matter much. Either way I am more than impressed and it sure beats the 20+ year old d-104 cartridge

If that original D104 element you took out is still in working shape; I would box it and store it carefully.
They are as rare as hen's teeth any more - and are worth $$.

Rare? I don't think so. eBay is crawling with elements and whole heads.

Rare? I don't think so. eBay is crawling with elements and whole heads.

The original Astatic elements haven't been mfd for quite some time. There are no new original replacement elements sold. A sharp smack is all it can take for them to fail. Been there; done that. And yes; you can find used elements on eBay - for a price. Seen them going for $25 for the element alone. Rare; no. Becoming increasingly hard to find; yes. That is my point.

There are 'other' elements that can be used inside, as mr_fx found out. The non-Astatic made crystal replacement elements found on eBay just don't cut it. Bought one of those before and I thought it sucked!

Last edited:
I should do this mod to my D104 microphones I cant run any of mine because I dont like the sound its to tinny. I have several of them there all silver eagles and special edition black and chrome models and one silver eagle wired up for my Yaesu FT-990 base radio and it has the 10DA bullet style SSB head and should try a radio shack element in that one aswell. Im guessing that the mics are pretty touchy as far as the audio setting after the changeover??

I should do this mod to my D104 microphones I cant run any of mine because I dont like the sound its to tinny. I have several of them there all silver eagles and special edition black and chrome models and one silver eagle wired up for my Yaesu FT-990 base radio and it has the 10DA bullet style SSB head and should try a radio shack element in that one aswell. Im guessing that the mics are pretty touchy as far as the audio setting after the changeover??

Just so long as the mic element you are replacing is in the same impedance range as the original element (the D104 impedance value is ???/don't know ATM), it should work.

Not all mics have the same frequency response and sensitivity. Huge differences in those characteristics can be found in all mics! That is the real difference between an $3.99 mic, a $39.99 mic, a $399 mic, and a $3,999 mic . . .

robb you are totally correct on your last post. However, Anyone that has ever tried to use an old D104 on modern equipment , esp on SSB has done so with less than stellar results.

With this cheapo Rat Shack element and a few minor changes in the pre-amp circuit it can turn the old (and mostly useless) D104 in to a SSB monster, well for the price anyways.

Does it sound as good as my MXL 990? nope, what about the Rat Shack Super Cardioid vocal mic? again, NOPE, but doe it sound better than an old D104, you betcha! and for less than $10 it is an unbeatable mod. My hat goes off to the gents that originally suggested this.

robb you are totally correct on your last post. However, Anyone that has ever tried to use an old D104 on modern equipment , esp on SSB has done so with less than stellar results.

With this cheapo Rat Shack element and a few minor changes in the pre-amp circuit it can turn the old (and mostly useless) D104 in to a SSB monster, well for the price anyways.

Does it sound as good as my MXL 990? nope, what about the Rat Shack Super Cardioid vocal mic? again, NOPE, but doe it sound better than an old D104, you betcha! and for less than $10 it is an unbeatable mod. My hat goes off to the gents that originally suggested this.

Would you care to share the details of this mod?

I'm very interested. Thanks

Reactions: 1 person
There is also a simple capacitor mod to change the tone on the D104 sound if one you have is too tinny for your taste.

Can google that too. It may even be here on the forum on an older page. This was discussed not too terribly long ago.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.