• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modes of operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends. What we call nbfm on 2m is plus/minus 2.5khz from catrier frequency. Normal or wbfm is plus/minus 5khz. However on fm broadcasting which is true wbfm the carrier is varied plus/minus. 75 khz from the carrier frequency. The variation in freq is called deviation

deviation makes a difference in a good sounding radio and a pinched sounding radio that I will turn the volume off in a heart beat.

I don't need any arrogance or snotty opinions by asking this question. I am in the learning phase and want to work toward getting my ticket. If I knew everything, then I wouldn't need to join forums unless I wanted to show my dominance and supperior intelect and make other people feel stupid. Fact of the matter is that I am an ex-infantryman. I was a paratrooper for 4 years and have over 6 years of service to my country. I have spent 2 of those years risking my life over 2 combat tours. I have come home to sleepless nights and constant counseling and anger management. I really don't need the stress and anger as a result of anyone trying to make themself feel smart by making me feel stupid, please.

Now that I've cleared that up, though I garrantee it will take about 5 posts before I get that guy who will do it anyway, There is AM, FM WB, FM NB, and SSB. They can be set to the same frequency. I know that AM is amplitude modulation, FM is frequency modulation, wide band, narrow band, single side band. That doesn't really explain what makes them different. If I was on 155.121 AM and someone was on 155.121 FM, I imagine I would hear them all garbled and unreadable, but why. I tried to understand the difference of SSB and AM but I don't really get it. Sometimes if I don't understand something I need to see it to understand it, but that isn't an option here.

Well...
Although you sort of apologized for your opening statement..
And Even though you have anger issues
( very likely brought on from combat)

Still, This is a Forum that has many good people.
It is Not about putting you down if you do not know this or that
( so whet.. we all didn't at some point )
You should not make a "PreEmpted" strike simply because you feel you have to protect yourself before something happens.

This Forum actually has many people with varying degrees of knowledge.
They pretty much all have a common ground of liking one form or another of 2 way communications .

Those few who act inappropriately typically do not last long on this forum since few are willing to attack others here ..

Sit back... Chill a bit.. Learn whatever you like.. Ask whatever you like..

By the way.. it is Always good when someone trys for their ticket and or wants to learn more about the hobby.

When you asked/stated ..There is AM, FM WB, FM NB, and SSB.
It simply boils down to different methods.. different styles.. different folks..
Some prefer one over the other.. either due to how it sounds and or the band plan ( frequencies they prefer using )

In simplest form.. It boils down to if you like AM,FM or SSB ( or other styles like CW, RITTY or many other digital & non digital formats) on ham radio typically the most used styles are FM and SSB ( like myself i like SSB for skip and distance..however FM when using repeaters )

The explanation of one verses the other can get technical & one can argue/debate advantages of one over another, Ultimately is more of a preference issue (beyond the bandplan that is anyways )

Doing a service for your country is great..
Many suffer from having done so..

Get a handle on it though.. otherwise one day it can explode in your face on some street while losing it with the public who does not understand your stress levels or why you are barking at them ( is how you can get shot & or killed or some innocent on the street.. I Know from Experience )

Get the Help you need and learn all you want to..
Count to 10 if needed for you are no longer in combat.

Do you now what it is like to take 3 yrs to walk again .
I have met ( and still dealing with my demons.. but i do not put those demons upon others )

I don't and I wish no one knew what that is like.
I try but it is hard. I pray about it and constantly ask for forgiveness. Its good to know He still loves me despite my bad behavior as I try to change.

I have a bit of OCD, lol. When I bought my wife her wedding ring, I researched diamonds and their system of grading for color, clarity, cut, how the angle proportions affect the visual effects of lighting and brilliance. My mom is actually a gemologist, so I got some tutelage help. But I also did extensive research on different jewelry grade metals and their alloy percentages, advantages of different types of alloy, casting procedures, durability, and reaction with skin. To make a long story short, I spent about 7 months learning before even starting to talk with jewelers. I typically found that I would know much more than the person behind the counter, who often tried giving wrong information (and it sadly works on most of the customers who shop there). My mother tried to get me to become a jeweler by the time I was done. That was just a temporary thing,but when I get involved in something I care about, I divulge completely and need to know everything.

That is where I am at with radios. I don't want my ticket until I am comfortable with my knowledge of them and their operation. I am trying to get over my fear of failing and use my GI bill to get my degree in electrical engineering and eventually open a good radio shop for HAM, marine, and CB radio equipment. It is so funny to think that 4 years ago, I thought one would just buy a radio and antenna and simply hooked it up and it worked. I have learned so much so far, but still know so little.

Last edited:
You can only learn so much by studying, and reading. You will have to get your feet wet to really grasp and learn some of this stuff. When you can pass the practice exams on eham everytime, then go take the tests. Then jump in the water.

There is AM, FM WB, FM NB, and SSB. They can be set to the same frequency. I know that AM is amplitude modulation, FM is frequency modulation, wide band, narrow band, single side band. That doesn't really explain what makes them different.

If you are studying for your Technician license I would suggest picking up the ARRL Technician License study guide. It is pretty good and also contains the entire question pool for the exam.

You will find a good amount of information in that guide alone on explaining how signals are modulated in order to carry voice (or whatever). It will also help you see how SSB is directly related to AM, and what it is that makes SSB more efficient in getting your signal from here to there than regular AM is.

I think you'll find the studying interesting.

Acknowledgement of the genius of the people who invent this stuff! These different forms have evolved over history. The key to communication is encode something and then decode it. Man discovered radio because AM happens in nature. When lightning strikes it generates random electromagnetic waves. The idea was that man could easily generate this signal but it didn't have information. AM radio is like taking a transmitter carrier and turning the power output knob up and down as fast as you can. (too fast to do but you get my point - we're varying power with the audio). AM had it's problems with naturally occurring static and quality, etc. FM was invented to overcome this. FM is like turning the transmitter frequency up and down as fast as you can. (we're changing frequency now not power as with AM). That's why you can't really listen to each with the wrong type of decoder. One is watching how the power changes and one is watching how the frequency shift.

Sideband filters the carrier out so the half that's left has to be reconstructed in the receiver. That's why more power can utilized in SSB.

My question, which no one has been able to answer, is that if I am trying to talk 2 meter from my car to my home and both antennas are vertical and I have all modes available to me what would be the advantage/ disadvantage of fm vs ssb? Could I better coverage with ssb?

am Amplitude Modulation - YouTube

fm Frequency Modulation - YouTube

am AM Modulation Test - YouTube

magnetism PHYS 101/102 #1: Electromagnetic Waves - YouTube

serious math maw nad paw kettle math - YouTube

Lighten up Francis!
Psyco - Lighten up Francis - YouTube

Reactions: 1 person
Acknowledgement of the genius of the people who invent this stuff! These different forms have evolved over history. The key to communication is encode something and then decode it. Man discovered radio because AM happens in nature. When lightning strikes it generates random electromagnetic waves. The idea was that man could easily generate this signal but it didn't have information. AM radio is like taking a transmitter carrier and turning the power output knob up and down as fast as you can. (too fast to do but you get my point - we're varying power with the audio). AM had it's problems with naturally occurring static and quality, etc. FM was invented to overcome this. FM is like turning the transmitter frequency up and down as fast as you can. (we're changing frequency now not power as with AM). That's why you can't really listen to each with the wrong type of decoder. One is watching how the power changes and one is watching how the frequency shift.

Sideband filters the carrier out so the half that's left has to be reconstructed in the receiver. That's why more power can utilized in SSB.

My question, which no one has been able to answer, is that if I am trying to talk 2 meter from my car to my home and both antennas are vertical and I have all modes available to me what would be the advantage/ disadvantage of fm vs ssb? Could I better coverage with ssb?

am Amplitude Modulation - YouTube

fm Frequency Modulation - YouTube

am AM Modulation Test - YouTube

magnetism PHYS 101/102 #1: Electromagnetic Waves - YouTube

serious math maw nad paw kettle math - YouTube

Lighten up Francis!
Psyco - Lighten up Francis - YouTube

Awesome (y) Stripes. Ah yes Another fav movie at this house :)

SSB has the advantage regardless of frequency simply because of the narrower bandwidth which results in a higher signal to noise ratio in the receiver. The only thing is that when operating FM you can use repeaters and extend your range greatly but as for simplex it is SSB that is better.

SSB has the advantage regardless of frequency simply because of the narrower bandwidth which results in a higher signal to noise ratio in the receiver. The only thing is that when operating FM you can use repeaters and extend your range greatly but as for simplex it is SSB that is better.

I am no pro but I agree with the SBB being best advantage. I concider ssb a " double whammy " because not only is it narrow and easy to communicate but you also get the aid of mother nature known as "skip" .(y)

I am no pro but I agree with the SBB being best advantage. I concider ssb a " double whammy " because not only is it narrow and easy to communicate but you also get the aid of mother nature known as "skip" .(y)

Thank-you for confirming that you are not a pro with that post. I have worked FM into Europe, the Carribbean , and Africa on 10m. "Skip" affects the frequency not the mode.I have also worked into 2m repeaters in New England on FM. California routinely works into Hawaiianw. On 2m via what is called The Pineapple Express. Look that one up.

Thanks Capt. Do you have any idea how much better? Have you compared both side by side? There aren't many repeaters here and I want to talk home when the spaghetti hits the fan. That would entail me buying two SSB units without ever trying it.

What you said about the lightning makes sense. I was in my truck wth the radio on, and there was thunder off in the distance. My radio meter was jumping like someone was keying up every so often. I thought the lightning may have been causing it, and I guess its confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.