• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mods for a Magnum S-6

[rant]
More? That radio has had all the tricks to squeeze more from two 2312 finals already built into it. That's Magnums's claim to fame. Many of the aftermarket "tweaks" applied to other similar models are built into it, out of the box. Not much "headroom" to take advantage of.

I've been recommending that an eight-transistor amplifier is the best match for it. Too much power for most 4-transistor types, unless you select "Medium" or "Low" setting on the front of the amplifier. But that's about the same thing as using a smaller radio in the first place, with that switch set to "high".

So far every S-6 we've seen delivers an honest 50 Watts PEP. Most amplifiers with fewer than eight transistors will end up clipping off your audio peaks with that much drive.

It's a simple formula, (Large radio) + (small linear) = less audio.

[/end rant]

you don't have to run the MS6 at full power output.

not looking to bust anyones chops here, just FYI.

surely you can find someone to do the work on a magnum radio who can adjust it without having to remove the top gun modulator, if that's what you're looking for. they're never removed here. on the S3 for example, at full power the carrier is 14 watts and with the TGM off pep is approximately +/- 42W. with TGM operating carrier remains the same and pep is approximately +/- 56W.

here's the portion of the post relative to this thread....

the entire down range of the rf power control is suitable for use with external amplifiers and carrier with the rf power control fully counter-clockwise is roughly 1.25W. from there we see about 16 - 20W PEP with TGM off and 36 - 40W PEP with TGM activated.

all pep readings are with maximum mic gain control settings. with this combination of range and flexibility the radio can be used with small 2 transistor amplifiers and even the largest 4 transistor models and still provide the necessary input levels required to properly drive or excite them. hell, it will produce enough output on am to drive a tsdx1600.

http://forum.worldwidedx.com/viewtopic.php?p=38030&highlight=tsdx1600#38030

Not looking to bust anyones chops huh???? Who said anything about removing the Top Gun in the previous posts?? Looks like a smart ass comment to me. Nice plug though....

the point of the relative portion of the thread is that smaller amplifiers can be safely used if the magnum radios are operated at reduced drive, a feature that is included in all of them. (S3, S6 & S9) the fact that the post linked to does not apply to the subject here in its entirety should be obvious to most. i simply referenced a portion of a previous post in another earlier thread to respond to the subject under discussion here.

the first paragraph bears repetition if only because the TGM is a feature included in the radio mentioned as the object of this thread and comes into play when contemplating the use of the radio with an amplifier in the first place. can any of the contents be construed as a "plug"? what if they are? as to the smart ass comments remark, the content was provided as a point of information and assistance as the original intent, as are most of my posts in this forum. that's your opinion and you're more than welcome to it. nevertheless, let it be known that your opinion or perception is not necessarily a valid indicator of any intent on my part. furthermore, with that being said, i fail to see how anything i have included in the last two posts rises to the level of "smart ass" comments.

Freecell, don't even bother with the guy. I think he's a self proclaimed cheerleader for CE or something. As long as he is happy with his gutted S-9 then thats all that matters.

Nomadradio, very good post and I would say you are correct. That is the main selling feature of the new Magnum radio's, they are already hot-rodded out of the box. If your going to pay to have things removed and re-worked then why buy the Magnum in the first place.

Frogmans6, the answer to your origional question would be to buy a nice Joker amplifier and be ready to gather in all of flowers.

topgun

ya all say how bad the topgun
modulator is. it was made by bobs cb shop.
if the radio is tuned right i dont see the problem.
if you dont like them dont buy them.
and im no cheerleader for anybody.
i do not need to kiss anyones ass.
like some people on here.
if you like the work your tech. is doing for you great!
if you do not find another tech.
all the crying and bitching is for not.
does not matter if it works for you great.
i do not see the point of bashing some other shops work.
it is a endless subject not worth the effort.

Hate to say but if you are happy with what you run than
RUN IT....if you want an upgrade,....there are PLENTY to chose from....thats all i can say on this subject....CAN anyone say "JUSTIN TUNED" ?????????
I CAN !!!!!!!!
AND HAPPY WITH ALL 2 BASE RADIOS AND 8 MOBILE RADIOS....
can you ???

AM POWER

If you want more power from you Magnum then sell it and buy a Galaxy 48T,95T(both 200 watts)or a Connex 4300(80 watts)or 4600 turbo(200 watts).If you try and push that radio to hard by doing this or that just so it looks good on a watt meter then in the end all you will have is a trashy sounding radio.And to if 50 watts is not getting the job done like you think it should maybe you should look into upgrading you antenna and coax.True i dont know what you are using now but just so you know.....that in its self is 90% of your transmit and receive.

I always get a good laugh when i hear someone bitching about how they just went out and spent $400.00 on a high powered radio and then could not understand why it got out no better then the radio they had before.When asked what kind of antenna they were using i got the.....oh its just some old truck stop antenna and coax that i have had for years but it still works ok,heard stuff like this many times.When i tried to help them out and tell them that they should have spent more on the coax and antenna and less on that big radio i got the you dont know what your talking about line because most people have be brain washed into thinking that all you need is alot of power to walk the walk.Most of the time it was from other drivers.Look at it this way.If you pair up with someone who has the same amount of power but has spent the time and money to make sure his antenna is set just right and has got the best coax that he could afford while you on the other hand just went with the cheapest thing you could find who do you think will be heard the most?

Oh did not see that......so you run a Wilson 1000.They do ok but they are much better antennas out there then that.On my truck i run a big magnet mount(has 3 mag's) in the center of the roof with a 10k antenna and some low loss coax,i can not remember for the life of me what kind it is but there is way to much snow on the truck for me to go look.Anyway with just my 22 watt Grant xl i talk to my wife who is 60 miles from where i work everyday and she or anyone else for that matter has any problem what so ever hearing me.Before with just a 102 steel whip and some of the grey coax i had to have my 4 pill on for her to hear me and even with 350 watts she says i still was not as easy to hear as i am now with 22 watts.I heard it over my cel phone before and after the change and it was like night and day.The change in coax and a better antenna made that much difference and it was money well spent!

King Mudduck, are you actually trying have us believe that your 22 watt Grant xl barefoot with a 10k antenna can out shoot a 4 pill amplifier on a 102"????? With both antennas tuned and set up correctly thats not even possible. Once you get into hi end antennas like a Monkey made, Coily, Wilson 5000, 102" steel whipp, the 10k, and others there are slight differences but not night and day differences that you are claiming here. Lets at least try and keep it real.

gee

it is not the point of good or bad.
if it comes in the radio leave it.
would you remove a spark plug from your car.
because someone told you it would run better.
i for one would not ever send you a radio.
to work on. if you are going to remove parts
and not return the parts to me.
that is bad buisness.
jon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.