• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Monkey Made

Monkey made also has the Bronco Buster some called it Big John antenna. It is light weight antenna it has round coils. This is the one i use. I can keep about 180 channels and keep swr below 1.8 I have not tried a Predator antenna yet ( i have played with a lot of different antennas ) So i guess i will give this Predator a try.

Yep, I guess I should have worded that a little differently. With the flat coils it is not as wind resistant as with the round coils. Plus the extra weight. Don't get me wrong. That monkey made is a good antenna!

I know this is a old thread, but was Googling around looking for other sites selling the Monkey Made "Big John" antenna, and happened on this old thread...

Reason I decided to post, is because I just bought a MM "Big John" antenna, mainly because I hadn't seen one before, and thought the thing looked cool!

This is the first Monkey I have bought probably in 10 years or better, mainly because of their weight, and I never had much luck getting one to tune. I've been a loyal Predator 10K fan for years, and also like the 55's (which is what I was running on my Toyota Tacoma) because of how easy they tune and perform...But after getting this Monkey Made Big John antenna, I'll have to say the people at Monkey Made did a excellent job designing this thing!

It took me maybe 30 minutes to get this antenna tuned, by cutting a little off the stinger, and would have took less time if my battery on my cut off tool didn't die on me after the first couple of cuts... luckily I had a spare battery, so couple more cuts, and this is what I came up with on my MFJ.

mk2h.jpg
mk4gh.jpg
mk5j.jpg

Think that's about as good as your going to get!:D

Here's the Big John sitting beside my 55 built. (Big John on the left)
mk3s.jpg

It tuned at a whopping 83 1/2 inchs...My 55 tuned at 79"
mk7a.jpg

Here it is on the Tacoma
mk6o.jpg
mk1r.jpg
34431135.jpg

Not being a fan of Monkey Made, I have to admit this antenna tuned better and quicker, than I would have ever imagined...And is not all that heavy... One thing that does add to the weight of it tho is the stinger. The stinger is thicker near the bottom sorta like a 102" whip (not like the stingers that come on Wilson or Predator antenna's where they are the same thickness at the top and bottom) But still, I didn't notice it being any heavier than the 55, and if it's heavier than the 10K, it's not enough to notice...

Next best thing was the price tag...$69.95+ s&h which to TX. was $17

Heck, my 55 was $80+ s&h, and I had to supply my own cut-down 102" whip for a stinger! The MM-Big John comes complete...

Just wanted to post something on this antenna since I really haven't seen anything posted before. If your looking for a big-coil antenna, and like the looks of the 55's or Fatboys R4 and R6, you may want to give these a look!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Hey Jesse James, not to derail the thread but where did you get your pedestal mount? Did you make it yourself? I have been thinking about doing the same thing.

RT307

Hey Jesse James, not to derail the thread but where did you get your pedestal mount? Did you make it yourself? I have been thinking about doing the same thing.

RT307

Made it...Had some square tubing laying around, so I just got a piece of angle iron and cut some "L" shaped pieces so I could attach it to the bed floor and to the top of the rail, and added a piece at the top for the mount...Also drilled a couple holes in it large enough to run the coax down the center so it wouldn't show...

You can get it at any Home Depot. I'm not sure where mine came from, I've had it for years, just never had a use for it till now. I also found a cap for the top at ACE Hardware to keep water from getting in...

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.