• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More 5/8 hombrew questions about tuning

if you look at the avanti sigma2 it does not use a tapped coil like most 5/8waves or a tapped hoop like the maco v5/8 and similar antennas,

your coax center conductor connects to the bottom of the hoop, top of hoop connects to bottom of radiator,
inside the fiberglass where the hoop attaches are two aluminum slugs which if i recall correctly form a capacitor of about 47pf in parallel with the hoop, that's about 125ohms Xc @27mhz,

when nav built a sigma2 copy using the same size/style hoop as my avanti with no capacitor it would not give a low vswr with any radiator length close to 5/8wave,
he ended up using a tapped coil to get the low vswr,

later version sigma2 and the avanti saturn have a dc grounding coil from bottom of hoop and about 6" shorter radiator.

eddie, i have had conflicting claims from people i asked to measure their tornado for dc grounding, some say theirs is shorted and some say its open circuit,
there are two versions short radial and long radial with revised hub,
id be surprised if one was open and the other style shorted.

eddie, i have had conflicting claims from people i asked to measure their tornado for dc grounding, some say theirs is shorted and some say its open circuit,
there are two versions short radial and long radial with revised hub,
id be surprised if one was open and the other style shorted.

I understand when you talk about how you sometimes get conflicting claims from folks, with good intentions hopefully, when you simply ask for measurements on their antennas. IMO, most probably don't do it on purpose...they just tend not to give too much details.

I don't know about matching circuits, but sometimes I'm surprised when I check the feed point, and the condition of continuity turns out different from what I figured.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    No conditions woodstown NJ.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place