• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More audio on a Magnum S6

nickybots110

Oct 17, 2008
Looking for some info on the Magnum S6. I wanna try to get a little more audio out of my S6. Its loud but just not enough for my. I'm running a 636 on it now. I tried my m6b on it but beside all the background noise it just didn't sound right. But it did swing the radio nice.
I heard a S9 with the limiter clipped and it sounded really nice just on ssb it was really bad.
The S6 don't have ssb some I wanna see if I remove the limiter how it sounds.
Any help would be great

I wouldn't clip the limiter either. VR-14 is the AM modulation adjustment on the board. You can turn that up a bit more.

The 636 mic suxs; too 'thin' sounding. Skythumper and RoadKing 56 modulate great in a vehicle. I used a 2018 Xtreme mic before with pretty decent results. The have a noise cancelling switch that can be turned on or off - worked pretty well too.

The only other options is the Astatic 575/M6. Thing is - they sell for more now than they did when they were new. Not to mention, they no longer make them. RF Limited has a new mic coming out in the next few weeks, the model number is the CR-577. AS a matter of fact, I get to do an exclusive review on it next week. It is reproduction of now discontinued Astatic 575. It doesn't look the same; but it has been said that it sounds every bit the same as the 575...

I wouldn't clip the limiter either. VR-14 is the AM modulation adjustment on the board. You can turn that up a bit more.

The 636 mic suxs; too 'thin' sounding. Skythumper and RoadKing 56 modulate great in a vehicle. I used a 2018 Xtreme mic before with pretty decent results. The have a noise cancelling switch that can be turned on or off - worked pretty well too.

The only other options is the Astatic 575/M6. Thing is - they sell for more now than they did when they were new. Not to mention, they no longer make them. RF Limited has a new mic coming out in the next few weeks, the model number is the CR-577. AS a matter of fact, I get to do an exclusive review on it next week. It is reproduction of now discontinued Astatic 575. It doesn't look the same; but it has been said that it sounds every bit the same as the 575...

I'm gonna try the rk56 and see. I always had better luck with the 636 thats why I sayed with it. I still have a brand new rk that I never used.
The 575 I figured would be to much for the radio but I'll give it a try I have to on the shelf.
I would like to at least find out where the limiter is just to lift it to see how much more it will do and being its only am it may not sound bad with the right mic

mics are funny , whats sounds good or great or not so hot on one radio with a partiular users voice may have very different results if you change the user or the radio . they all work together to produce the modulation of your signal . the 2018 xtreme always gets the best reports on my different unidens though .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.