• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mosley Mini 33 Beam

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Anyone have any comments about the Mosley Mini Beams ?? Thinking about a TriBand Mini 33 A ..

Good reviews on them, a longer boom equals more gain but it will serve you well, Mosley is hard to beat for quality of parts and strength.

I use a TA-33 at one QTH and the PRO67B at the other. No complaints.
Usually just use 100 watts as that seems to be all it takes to bust some pile ups to the DX station.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it, its the Mini 33 with the WARC add on, 1yr old and I got it for $400 .. Hope to pick it up tomorrow. Now I need to get the seperation kit for the G-5400 rotor and will put the beam above the Satellite array about 5 feet. should work out pretty well. I'll post some pictures when I get it on the tower.

I have the Mini 32a tri-bander. Its like a rotatable dipole with some gain. It has almost no rejection at all. I called Mosley about adding the third element to try and increase the front to back ratio. I was told the third element would do little if any to increase the rejection. So if you are hoping to swing around and listen to signals fade and drop out you might be disapointed. I really like the beam myself. I use a Penninger portable tilt mast and a channel master rotator. My 2 ele tunes well on 20 meters and is broadbanded, does ok on 15. Haven't used it much on 10. Good luck and have fun!

If you get one of these can you take some detailed photos? Also, I'm curious if you think that it will work on a heavy duty push up rohn mast? I have a 50' Rohn push up that I've pushed up 30'. I've often wondered if one of these small yagis would survive with a small rotor on that installation.

Ok I got the Beam. First thing that happens when I arrive to pick it up is the guy knocks over the box and breaks one of the center insulators on a driven element. Luckily it was the WARC band element. Ordered a new one from Mosley. Then I get home and no Mast Plate, call the guy and he is not sure where it is, called Mosley and ordered one. Then the Separation kit for the G-5400 is out of stock and HRO is ordering me one and will ship when it comes in.

I put the antenna together as the Mini 33A and hung it from a branch on a tree in the back yard, hooked up the Coax and checked SWR with a MFJ 269. 20m is spot on 1.0:1 at 14.300, 15m is 1.5 and 10m is 1.9, I could have probably gotten them a little closer but the tuner will work on 15 and 10.

Hooked it up to the radio and went to the noisiest frequency on 20m 14.313, it actually does some pretty good rejection to the sides and with 100 watts got some great signal reports from down south, as its pointed SSW hanging from the tree. Cant wait to get it up on the tower, I'll have a friend come over with his Tree Service boom truck to mount it as I am going 10' above my Satellite array.
Now all I need is the rest of the parts, then I can give a true review of the antenna.

Here it is in the tree right now.

beam_resize.jpg

Well being the impatient person I am I built up a mast plate out of a piece of aluminum plate I got at a friends shop. I also pieced together some muffler clamps and got some long 8mm bolts for the rotor separation kit, just cut the heads off the bolts and now I have studs that will work just fine. Picked up a 10' Galvanized fence post that is 1 3/4" OD and it plenty heavy enough to handle this small beam. The missing plastic block that goes between the boom and the mast plate I made out of wood and coated it with liquid electrical tape. If I didnt have to deal with getting the antenna around the satellite array I would have put it up on the tower today, but I have to wait on a friend with a bucket truck to stop by. Probably Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Beam1.JPG

Beam2.JPG

Beam3.JPG

So there ya have it ... If the driven element insulator gets here before then I will add the WARC band element, if not its going up as a tri bander. (y)

That is a true Ham, use what you got and make it work(y)

If the insulator does not come in for the WARCS a fan dipole for 12/17 will work ok if you can get some height on it. 1:1 current balun is needed at feed point, Get the gain from the Amplifier(y)

While you have the bucket truck put a stand off and a pulley on the tower below the yagis so you can play with some wires.

17 has been a blast and 12 has had some great openings also.

Well the tower stops at the peak of the roof, about 28'. Plus I dont have any room to mess with wires off the tower since its bracketed to the house. I do have a full size loop up out back for 75 and it tunes pretty well on 10 and 20.

Looks like I will have the parts to add the WARC element before I can get the boom truck here. Its raining today and with the holiday it wont be till the first of the week. However my parts from mosley should be here Friday ..

Why are you installing the HF antenna ABOVE the satellite array? Convention says to do it the other way around. The azimuth rotator turns everything and the elevation rotator is mounted above the HF antenna and elevates just the satellite array. You also do not have the satellite array firing through the HF antenna that way. Any pix of the existing satellite array and rotator assembly?

For right now this is the easiest way to do it as I don't have a rotor tray on the tower or a 20' mast. If I had the expendable extra funds I would go that route. I will most likely change everything in the spring and swap stuff around. The Tray, thrust bearing and mast will cost between $350 and $400 from what I have seen, probably a lot less used. I would also like to put the tower another 10' up then I could use a slightly shorter mast and not worry about the beam hitting the chimney. I guess I would need to take some pictures of what I am talking about to make it clearer. Firing through the beam should not be an issue, I'll make sure the HF stuff is off when using the satellite stuff.

Its not an ideal set up by far, but for now it will have to work..

IMG_1542.JPG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.